You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Senior Scientist, Droplet Generator
Research & development
Chemistry & materials science
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Chemistry & materials science, Physics, Mechatronics
Introduction to the job
We are presenting you with a unique and exciting opportunity to join a dynamic and innovative Development & Engineering team, focused on conceiving and demonstrating the technologies required for next generations of high-power extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light sources. Based on a laser produced plasma (LPP), our light source relies on a wide range of unique and challenging technologies, ranging from laser light amplification and high-power optical systems to laser produced plasma for EUV generation, electro-optical signal detection and algorithm-based actuation for process control. You are invited to bring your passion, knowledge and expertise in areas of applied physics, plasmas, metrology, optics, controls, lasers, and experiment design to push the boundaries of these technologies forward.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASM0L to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
- Guides development of high-level architecture for the formation of tin droplets inthe EUV source, as well as metrology systems formeasuring the performance of the system,in order to improve the EUV generation process; improve droplet formationmodels via experimental validation; build and maintain model improvementroadmaps.
- Provides input to technology roadmaps and identify key scientific learningobjectives and define corresponding experimental design to arrive at designguidelines, performance requirements and procedures to product teams.
- Identifies key scientific learning objectives and corresponding experimentaldesign which will further the technological progress of the EUV generationprocess.
- Demonstrates of system-wide performance targets to meet the future technology roadmap.
- Develops and executes system and subsystem performance tests, analyze test resultsand extract actionable knowledge from sub-module to full-system levels.
- Troubleshoots issues with laser, tin delivery, and optical systems in order to improvethe EUV generation process.
- Documents learning and communicate knowledge to engineering and product developmentteams to guide product improvement and release of new product nodes.
- Works independently and in teams to deliver on a stated objective, whether it bethe pursuit of new knowledge, the demonstration of a new capability, orthe characterization of existing performance.
Education and experience
- PhDor MS degree with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in physics,optics, chemistry, chemical engineering, material science or equivalentfield.
- Demonstratedknowledge in metrology development and data analysis.
- In-depthknowledge in plasma characterization techniques is highly desired.
- Deepunderstanding of scientific research methods and strong scientificcuriosity.
- Hands-onexperience with complex system design and build, including rapidprototyping, characterization and troubleshooting, and system-leveldemonstrations.
- Thesuccessful candidate will not only have excelled in their technical field,but will have demonstrated inter-personal and communications strengths.
- Extensiveexperience with experimental data analysis and development of dataanalysis tools with, for instance, MATLAB or Python and data acquisitionsystems such as LabVIEW.
- Practicalexperience with breadth of metrology techniques and system design,including laser produced plasma systems.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead a research project involving multiple stakeholders and constraints.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a part of a team and lead investigation and research efforts.
- Abilityto clearly and logically communicate ideas and knowledge to variousaudiences.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
- This position is located on-site in San Diego CA.It requires onsite presence to attend in-person work-related events, trainings and meetings and to further ensure teamwork, collaboration and innovation.
- A flexible workplace arrangement may be available to employees working in roles conducive to remote work (up to two days a week).
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.