You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
30+ days ago - J-00230808-888
Research Scientist – Physical Modelling of Light Sources
Research & development
In a nutshell
Research & development
Introduction to the job
At ASML Research, everyone is part of a multidisciplinary team. Physicists, data scientists, chemical engineers, metrology experts and more – all working together in different teams to take on a particular challenge. Each team member brings a different set of skills to attack technical challenges from different angles. The result? Incredibly imaginative breakthroughs at the cutting edge of engineering.
ASML Research is looking for a Physical Modeling Expert in light source technology to develop new sources to match our metrology needs.
Role and responsibilities
You will be part of a project team developing new light sources that are used for our optical metrology tools. These metrology tools are present inside our EUV scanners and as stand-alone measurement stations and measure important parameters, such as overlay and critical dimensions. With the increasing complexity, # of layers and the use of a larger variety of materials it is increasingly challenging to measure with sufficient accuracy. To expand our options in this complex field of metrology, we develop new light sources, based on leading edge laser and plasma technology. These light sources make use of nonlinear optics such as harmonic and supercontinuum generation. To strengthen the team that is currently focused on the experimental, design, and measuring aspects, we are looking for a theoretical physicist that is eager to join this team to accelerate our research.
Your job will be to invent and investigate promising concepts for light sources, through the development of physical modeling tools and detailed simulation of nonlinear light generation processes.
- Analyze and model light sources
- Advance simulation software capabilities
- Use your physical understanding to give guidance to light source experiments
- Propose technological improvements
- Proactively educate non-specialists on your field’s key aspects
Education and experience
- A PhD in (Theoretical) Physics, Applied Physics or related field.
- Proficient in Matlab, Python or related programming language
- Experience in numerical modeling, ideally on of nonlinear light generation, laser-plasma interaction, or related topic. If light sources are new to you, but eager to apply your talent to a new topic we also invite you to apply!
- 0-4 years experience in academia or industry on related topics (after PhD).
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Ability to work independently in a dynamic explorative environment.
- Ability to effectively assess a complex problem on the different physical scale levels from meters to nanometers .
- Resilient and firm in challenging situations.
- Strong analytical ability with a pragmatic attitude.
- Critical attitude.
- Good communicational skills and good knowledge of English.
- Able to work in a multidisciplinary team and effectively transfer knowledge to others.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Context of the position
The holder of the position reports to the Group lead Optical Measurement Systems in the Research Department. Operational activities are within Light Source or Optical Sensor related projects.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. §730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Keywords:Research, Light Sources, Modelling
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.