You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
30+ days ago - J-00231557-272
Senior Opto-Mechanical Design Engineer
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Optical engineering, Mechatronics
Introduction to the job
ASML US, including its affiliates and subsidiaries, bring together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
The Senior Opto-Mechanical design Engineer shall assist with the mechanical and opto-mechanical design of next-generation opto-mechanical sub-systems for the creation and control of EUV radiation and supports the development & integration of innovative core technology elements and/or system concepts into engineering solutions. Requirement is to perform a variety of engineering tasks including designing, developing, testing, analyzing, troubleshooting and production implementation of subassemblies and modules. Works with the optical engineer to develop mechanical mounting solutions for optical designs, including interactive, iterative tolerancing schemes. Subsequent design activities may include supervision of stress and thermal analyses of mounted optics and tolerance distribution, plus assignment and completion of engineering change activities (including use of sub-contractor resources). Researches and works with supply chain engineering to select future key suppliers for consideration as turn-key providers of sub-systems. Develops robust and reliable resolutions to broad design and critical issues that impact design/manufacturing successes or to address future concepts, products, or technologies and roadmaps. May assist in the negotiation of major contracts involving large dollar amounts and monitors the cost, schedule, and performance aspects of key sub-contractors. Coordinates purchasing activities with engineering and manufacturing departments to source critical supply requirements and drive new product development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assumes opto-mechanical engineering responsibilities for component, module or subsystem design or specification from concept through final qualification
- Coordinates with lead optical engineers and detail engineers in transfer to engineering prototypes
- Performs detailed opto-mechanical module design including: BoM, drawings, tolerancing and procedures for new or improved subsystems
- Hands-on opto-mechanical systems build and qualification, including assembly procedure development, alignment and process improvement activities
- Leads or participates in preliminary and critical design reviews (PDR, CDR)
- Drives release and engineering change (EC) process to document product life cycle
- Coordinates purchasing activities with manufacturing, planning, and engineering departments to acquire inventory in a cost effective and timely manner
- Interacts closely with development engineers, supply chain engineers, suppliers, and QA to resolve quality issues
- Performs other duties as assigned or required
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, optical or opto-mechanical engineering and a minimum of six years of relevant experience, or a master’s degree with a minimum of two years relevant industrial experience
- Expert with 3D mechanical design software (NX preferred) and product lifecycle management (PLM) software (TeamCenter preferred)
- Experience in the design and materials selection for high-precision, tight tolerance mechanical modules and/or kinematic mounted systems
- Experience with the creation and release of engineering change (EC) orders
- Familiar with design aspects for volume manufacture (DfX such as design for cost, assembly, service etc.)
- Experience with sequential and non-sequential optical design and analysis software (such as: Zemax, FRED) an advantage
- Familiar with working in gated project development cycle (PDP) an advantage
- Requirement to report on project progress with strong written, presentation and verbal communication skills
- Skilled in using a variety of computer applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail) required
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work
- Can learn and apply new information or skills
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers and customer
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.