You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
30+ days ago - J-00233037-472
Senior Engineering Technician
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Introduction to the job
Responsible for the hands on assembly, debug, and verification of electronics,electromechanical, mechanical, vacuum, optical systems and prototypes in support of Research activities such as design, test, evaluation of existing and new products. Responsible for assembly, maintenance, operation, and upgrading all equipment including but not limited to test programs, oscilloscopes, signal generators, analyzers, meters, solder assembly tools, specialized test apparatus, and laser systems. Performs operational test and fault isolation on systems and equipment. Works from schematics, diagrams, written and verbal descriptions, layouts or defined plans to perform fabrication, modifications, testing, checkout and trouble-shooting functions.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
- Builds electrical, optical, vacuum and mechanical assemblies in strict accordance with procedures.
- Uses standardized tools and electric equipment (i.e., torque wrenches, electric and pneumatic screwdrivers and ball drivers) to perform mechanical assembly, testing, repair, and troubleshooting of opto-mechanical assemblies.
- Perform modules and parts replacement on modules and systems.
- Ensures procurement of parts to support operations and development.
- Operates modules and systems according to SOPs.
- Prepares completed assemblies for shipment.
- Collect and analyze data under descriptive instructions/guidance.
- Recommends procedural improvements to management.
- Follows control measures and processes to ensure the quality of modules produced.
- Identifies and documents issues with materials and assemblies.
- Trains lower level technicians.
- Analyzes equipment performance and schedule maintenance and calibration as required.
- Documents and monitors safety or security violations critical to product quality or operations.
- Sets up diagnostic equipment according to general instructions.
- Uses specialized test equipment and programs and common test equipment to execute and control testing throughout the design/production process.
- Occasionally works closely with engineers on qualification testing of new products. This includes developing test methodology, establishing test parameters and drafting procedures. May be required to independently develop test processes and protocol given the desired goal.
- Collects and evaluates test data to ensure process control and product quality based on specific procedures and processes.
- Troubleshoots and performs problem isolation on modules and sub-assembly components that are complex in nature.
- Determines refurbish requirements with general instructions.
- Uses sophisticated computer programs and diagnostic equipment to test laser performance according to general instructions.
- Investigates the root-cause of issues and provides information to Engineers and Project Managers.
- Works with management to enforce safety and security procedures.
- Anticipates issues and provides potential solutions within specific area of knowledge.
- Performs other duties as assigned to support Research and Development Group.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
Education and experience
- Requires an Associate’s Degree in a technical field or equivalent Trade School diploma and a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a related field.
- Bachelors Degree is a plus.
- Experience working with precision optical components desirable.
- Proven abilities to troubleshoot and identify problems in complex systems.
- Extensive experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Understanding of laser/optical systems.
- Vacuum system design, operation and trouble shooting.
- Machining using mill, lathe, welding and other fabrication tools.
- Computer and network integration, for data gathering
- Mechanical assembly and design
- Electrical design, troubleshooting, PLC
- Electronic and Electrical systems, operation and trouble shooting.
- Scripting languages such as Python.
- PLC controls like Siemens or NI
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Ability to use tools and equipment (e.g., oscilloscopes, voltage and current probes, multi-meters, chart recorders.
- Must be able to use standard hand tools that includes, but is not limited to, torque wrenches, electric or pneumatic screwdrivers, and ball drivers.
- Knowledge of MS office suite, computer systems, networking, and software.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret work instructions, engineering specifications, and engineering sketches.
- Availability to work in a rapidly changing environment.
- Capability to work in a team environment.
- Flexibility to work overtime and off-shift hours to support company requirements.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.