You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Introduction to the job
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler Arizona, San Jose and San Diego California, Wilton Connecticut, and Hillsboro Oregon.
The Reliability Engineer works in an environment with highly complex and interrelated technology, where innovative leading edge products are developed and further optimized. With very specific market dynamics that have traditionally lead to a strong focus on time to market and cost to enable our customers to realize the next node. Our customers are becoming more and more demanding, require faster ramp-up towards high availability and low Cost of Operation, are more educated and want to be more closely involved, setting higher standards for optimizing cost & quality.
The Reliability Engineer plays a key role in identifying and mitigating risks throughout the Product Generation Process. When the situation requires the Reliability Engineer may be involved in identifying part level risks, lifetime testing before product release, system level reliability testing, and analyzing field data. It is essential that the Reliability Engineer looks beyond the D&E sector and focuses on driving continuous improvement end-to-end, across the value chain with close cooperation with colleagues in Development and Engineering, Operations, Manufacturing, Customer Service and our End customers.
The Reliability Engineer needs to be able to influence others without formal power. The D&E line management is in the end responsible for delivering quality, however the Reliability Engineer needs to work with the D&E Group / Project Leaders and employees to ensure that they take this ownership for the reliability of the modules and systems they are desigining.
The Reliability Engineer supports the transition from ‘Quality as a choice’ to ‘Quality first’, which entails a key role as change agent to make this shift. Thereby they are facing a complex landscape with diverse (and highly educated) stakeholders of a broad range of functional and technical areas and will need to be able to overcome resistance and activate people.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
- Establish reliability requirement and budget breakdown.
- Define operational environment & user case.
- Perform risk analysis / FMEA together with development team.
- Identify reliability critical parts.
- Risk retirement, including feasibility and lifetime testing.
- Reliability testing at different function levels within a subsystem.
- Reliability prediction.
- Report on the reliability deliverables.
- Review: design robustness.
- Analyze field performance and lessons learned.
Education and experience
- BSc, MSc, or PhD in Applied Physics, Electrical / Mechanical / Mechatronic Engineering with focus in Reliability Engineering.
- 4 years of experience in related role with Bachelors Degree, no experience with advanced degree.
- Developed in professional expertise, knowledge of Reliability modeling(e.g. Weibull, CROW-amsaa)
- Design for Six Sigma Green Belt or Black Belt
- Experience with reliability modeling software like Minitab or Reliasoft
- Knowledge of company policies and procedures to resolve a variety of issues, including PGP.
- Working knowledge of company products and services.
- Experience with analyzing Reliability data in complex systems
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Good stakeholder management and consulting skills, able to collaborate across all levels of the organization with an open attitude, able to influence without power.
- Strong communication skills, good listener, with the ability to present information verbally and in written format.
- Self-propelling - learning & (Quality) improvement mindset.
- Proactive and hands-on mentality to get the job done.
- Drive for continuous improvement; making use of the lessons learned.
- Strong analytical and conceptual ability with a pragmatic attitude, fact based approach.
- Good knowledge of English.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Responsibilities include periodic travel to regional and overseas sites for product technical support and special support projects.
- Work may include onsite technical support involving heavy lifting of equipment & modules.
- Position will require technical work activity in a clean-room production environment and/or laboratory setting.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Occasionally may be exposed to loud noise bursts and may be exposed to toxic gases (fluorine).
- Must be able to work in small, confined spaces.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.