You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
13 days ago - J-00239721-387
Machine Learning Mathematics Engineer
In a nutshell
Introduction to the job
Are you curious to solve algorithm design problems for the semiconductor metrology industry, with demanding time, accuracy, and memory requirements? Than the Physics Machine Learning Engineer position is the fit for you! You will be challenged to put your creativity together with your in-depth knowledge of physical-mathematical principles and machine learning into practice. With this you have the opportunity to put your hands-on experience and practical problem solving skills into practice. And, from the start, you will land in a team of highly talented algorithm experts.
Within ASML the business Development & Engineering (D&E) is responsible for the development, specification and design of new ASML products. The Business Line Applications provides integrated solutions with computational, metrology and control technology. These solutions extend and improve the performance of lithography and patterning products for the semiconductor industry.
Role and responsibilities
Within D&E Applications, the Algorithms and Physical Modeling group covers the development of models and methods required to infer physical model parameters from optical scatterometry data obtained using the YieldStar. Relevant new metrics, as well as new measurement functions, with optimum performance characteristics using the raw acquisitions are identified, designed and implemented. The group secures the ASML Competency of Applied Mathematics for Parameter Estimation.
Your activities are:
- Develop optical metrology solutions with statistically correct parameter inference, machine learning and optimization algorithms, and system calibrations, to improve semiconductor metrology and enable high-volume fab control solutions.
- Implement machine learning and deep learning metrology applications, with a mindset for scalable data-intensive and distributed software architectures, at the interface with colleague data science, functional and software groups at ASML.
- Drive for data and code quality, and collaborate and help to implement along industry coding best practices.
- Work as a team with similar-minded people, benefitting from each other’s specific competences.
- Communicate crystal clearly on physical-mathematical principles, algorithm solutions and design decisions to stakeholders, without omitting the essentials.
- Design and realize fully functional proof-of-concept subsystems on the edge of system specifications, costs and project planning, thereby contributing directly to products for B2B customers world-wide.
- Review technical analyses from the team, and structure team contributions keeping the overview.
- Consolidate technical-team identity in communication with other departments.
- Contribute to technical product roadmaps and generate intellectual property protecting ASML products, while developing the best metrology solutions and a well-founded vision on semiconductor metrology.
Education and experience
Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, or Electrical Engineering
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Excellence in numerically stable modeling, code development, using sound mathematical-physical principles and insights;
- Ability to explain machine learning solutions and mathematical principles in a crisp way, without omitting the essentials;
- Affinity with data-intensive and distributed software architecture (cloud) as environment for metrology applications;
- Drive for structuring the scripting code base in the cluster, and be energized by helping colleagues in this;
- Fluency in the languages Python, Julia, MATLAB, or C++, and awareness of compatibility with other softwares;
- Sound understanding of the fundamentals such as linear algebra, robust optimization and deep learning methods, probability theory, stochastic programming, and optics;
- Drive creative solutions -within the bigger picture- with the product and customer in mind;
- Initiating, self-propelling and decisive in an ambiguous environment;
- Team worker, and ability to influence without power;
- Pragmatic approach and pro-active attitude, with result focus and a ‘can do’ spirit.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Keywords: (non-)convex optimization, robust optimization, deep learning pipeline, data-intensive and distributed computing, cloud computing, data processing, parameter inference, physics, software, dataflow, (un)supervised and reinforcement learning, neural network, inverse problem, physical calibration, mathematics, optics, regression, information theory.
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.