You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
30+ days ago - J-00240078-431
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Optical engineering, Physics
Introduction to the job
ASML US, including its affiliates and subsidiaries, bring together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
The engineer shall assist with the optical design of next-generation optical and opto-mechanical sub-systems for the creation and control of EUV radiation and supports the development & integration of innovative core technology elements and/or system concepts into engineering solutions. Requirement is to perform a variety of engineering tasks including design, development, test, qualification, troubleshooting and integration implementation of subassemblies and modules. Works with the lead optical and opto-mechanical engineers and system scientists to develop optical solution concepts. Subsequent activities may include tolerance and stray light analyses and extensive lab/bench/machine-based qualification studies. Develops resolutions to broad design and critical issues that impact design/manufacturing successes or to address future concepts, products, or technologies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assumes optical engineering responsibilities for optical component, module or subsystem design from concept through final qualification
- Coordinates with lead optical and opto-mechanical engineers and scientists in transfer to engineering prototypes
- Performs component (active and passive) specification, design development and qualification in the lab and on-system
- Delivers qualification reports and makes recommendations for improvements and further work
- Processes purchase requisitions, purchase change orders, and requests for quotes to suppliers
- Interacts closely with development engineers, supply chain engineers, suppliers, and QA to resolve quality issues
- Participates in preliminary and critical design reviews
- Performs other duties as required
Education and experience
- Master’s degree in applicable field (or bachelor’s with 2+ years’ work experience in relevant field)
- Experience with sequential and non-sequential optical design and analysis software (such as: Zemax, FRED)
- Experience with mathematical analysis tools such as MatLab and/or LabView
- Experience with working in an optical laboratory and familiarity with optical metrology tools an advantage
- Experience with the design and alignment of high-power laser systems and reflective focusing systems an advantage
- Familiar with working in gated project development cycle (PDP) an advantage
- Requirement to report on project progress with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Skilled in using a variety of computer applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail) required
Solid theoretical and experimental background in some or all of:
- Optical system and component specification
- Optical system design, analysis & tolerancing
- Stray light analysis
- High-power NIR solid-state lasers and modulators (EOM, AOM…)
- Polarization management
- Optical sensors and imaging components
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work
- Can learn and apply new information or skill
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.