You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
30+ days ago - J-00240446-268
Other technical job categories
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Mechanical engineering, Physics, Other technical job categories
Introduction to the job
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler Arizona, San Jose and San Diego California, Wilton Connecticut, and Hillsboro Oregon.
If you have a passion for technology and innovation you’ll want to check us out. Be a part of ASML. Be a part of progress.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Laser-Produced Plasma EUV is generated by firing high energy laser pulses at tin droplet targets at kilohertz repetition rates. The resulting plasma pulses create both desired EUV light, and undesired Tin debris in the form of ballistic particulates and atomic vapor. If unabated, the Tin debris will coat all surfaces in the vessel, including optical components, impacting the transmission of EUV and Laser light.
We are looking for a Systems Design Functional Architect acting in the role of Tin Management Function Architect, with flow emphasis. The objective is to identify technologies and design concepts that can be developed to address undesired tin debris using flow schemes, and partner with Project Management to ensure delivery of robust product flow and mechanical solutions. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual with a broad technical background, excellent communication skills, and ability to influence others. As a functional architect with flow background you will work with a team of highly professional engineers and scientists with diverse academic backgrounds and many years of experience. Your job is to provide technical leadership to the team to deliver practical mechanical and flow solutions to enable this complex function.
Role and responsibilities
- Own and be the technical leader for the vessel flows and required hardware related to tin mitigation.Confer with CFD analysts and use flow knowledge and intuition to convince high level stakeholders of the right technical program direction.
- Develops the function (HW, SW, Flow) roadmap, requirements, specifications, architecture, and technology development needs for Tin Management in the EUV Source using flow mitigations, which are required to improve optics lifetime, and overall system availability.
- Identifies concepts that can address flow, thermal, and mechanical performance gaps; assesses technology maturity and defines the development and engineering work breakdown for execution by cross-functional teams of seasoned scientists and engineers.
- Works with competence experts to develop and validate a model for Tin loading in the EUV Source vessel, which can be used to predict performance and issues, and drive the development roadmap.
- Leads architecture and prototyping definition; works with cross-functional teams of mechanical engineers, materials scientists, electrical and software engineers to develop solutions to roadmap.
- Develops and maintains the specification document tree; writes and/or reviews key specification and design documentation, coordinates key reviews with Systems Engineering and Project Stakeholders to ensure functional specifications are aligned to system requirements.
- Identifies and engages third parties for development of technology solutions; Creates Statements of Work (SOWs) to define phased deliverables for budgeting and project management.
- Defines Test Protocols; analyzes test data; makes recommendations based on test results for design changes and operational changes to deliver improved performance of sub-modules.
- Assesses technology and project risks and defines risk mitigation strategies and approaches with the project leadership team.
- Mentors, coaches and oversees the activity of more junior Architects in the Function and Competence organizations.
Education and experience
- MS or Ph.D. in Engineering, Physics or related technical discipline. Fluid dynamics preferred
- 6+(MS) / 3+(Ph.D.) years of experience in a technical leadership role, with direct experience in theoretical or practical fluid dynamics.
- Familiarity with Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) modeling, including mesh generation, CFD processing, and post-processing analysis.
- Interpretation and application of CFD results to guide hardware and process optimization.
- Familiarity with heat transfer analysis and methodologies.
- Experience with materials in extreme environments and interactions with liquid metals.
- Experience with thermal and gas flow elements of process chamber design.
- Previous role(s) in Technology, Process and/or Engineering Design of Semiconductor processing equipment a strong plus.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Ability to carry a product design from conception into production.
- Project Engineering experience including leading small technical teams is desirable.
- Ability to cross functional boundaries to build relationships with all areas in the company, to understand and reconcile higher level company and customer needs.Passion for commercialization and driving innovation at a rapid pace.
- Highly motivated, enthusiast, flexible and a good communicator.
- Think broad, learn fast, take responsibility, act decisively and show critical sense.
- Experience with product lifecycle management, including roadmap definition.
- Ability to initiate, influence and drive.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.