You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
19 days ago - J-00241307-725
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Introduction to the job
ASML in San Diego (US) is seeking a Cost Engineer within our Supplier Quality and Cost Engineering team here in San Diego, California. As a cost engineer you will lead value creation and driving Cost of Goods reduction for San Diego’s new products in coordination with the internal design team, Sourcing and ASML key suppliers. These new products will include high precision mechanical and mechatronic systems, optical, opto-mechanical, sub-systems and components.
The Cost Engineer will report to the Group Lead of Supplier Quality and Cost Engineering within the Industrialization Department for EUV Source development in D&E San Diego. This is a technical job. You will be determining manufacturing setup time, milling time, turning time, EDM time, etc. You will be working on multiple projects and with other Cost Engineers, Purchasing, Design Engineers, Project Leads, Supplier Chain Engineers, etc.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
- Prepare cost estimates to support the development ofnew products in a fast paced, highly technical environment to ensure costof goods remain in line with budget.
- Make parts virtually on our software to determine theoptimal cost of the parts and assemblies.
- Meet with design engineers and influence thedesign using your knowledge of optimal manufacturing practices.
- Work with Sourcing and Procurement visiting suppliersto validate and negotiate technical costs.
- Estimate new design manufacturing costs for complexparts and assemblies.
- Collaborate with Development & Engineering,competences, and use the estimated manufacturing cost to influencesolution down selection.
- Comfortable negotiating Technical cost with suppliersto drive down high volume part costs (i.e. milling times, setup analysis,tooling, …)
- Travel (up to 20%) both Domestic and International canbe expected.
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Industrial Engineeringor equivalent experience and a minimum of 8 or more years overallexperience in development and manufacturing of complex high-techassemblies and mono-parts.
- 5 or more years of direct experience in the practice ofhigh-end precision manufacturing of high precision mechanics andmechatronics assembly with qualification.
- Specific experience with costing, quoting, estimating,and value chain mapping.
- Thorough understanding and experience with the moreadvance manufacturing process’ like 5 Axis CNC Milling, CNC Turning,Laser/E-Beam welding, additive (3D printing) manufacturing, precisionmechanics in vacuum, laser and waterjet cutting, EDM, manufacturing flow,etc.
- Knowledge of manufacturability of raw materialmanufacturing like stainless steel, titanium, refractory metals, casting,extrusion, high end plastics, etc.
- Understand supplier and supply chain (advanced)manufacturing capabilities and preferable their financial value stream andcosts. Working in design teams,supplier account teams andsuppliers.
- Determine manufacturing strategies and create productcosting of designs for high precision, low volume parts and complexmodules based on optimum serial and volume manufacturing effects.
- Experience with manufacturing complex components andassemblies and a general understanding of costs.
- Proven ability to drive down Cost of parts andassemblies by influencing design on manufacturability and costs.
- Creation of manufacturing process flows formanufacturability and cost calculations based on those flows.
- Collaborate with: Development & Engineeringcompetences, Sourcing and Supplier Quality Engineering.
- Understand high precision, low volume, high mixmanufacturing strategies.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Strong collaboration with cross-functional teams:Development & Engineering competences, Sourcing and Supply ChainEngineering.
- Has excellent analytical and simulation skills forproduct costs and supplier factory standard cost scenarios.
- Proactive member of design and supplier account teams.
- Support and mentor designers with regard to design formanufacturing.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within theprovided timelines.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professionalcommunication with strong negotiation skills.
- Excellent written communication on reporting of costvalidations, opportunities and risks.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations andinteract with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention todetail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demandingenvironment with changing workloads.
- Work independently or as part of a team and followthrough on assignments with minimal supervision.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.