You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Senior Mechatronics Engineer - Escalations
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Introduction to the job
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
A well-rounded mechatronics engineer in this position will work on mechatronics, sub-nanometer linear motion control, precision handling of delicate parts, product and system integration and software functionality, all specific to DUV Reticle Handler. Candidate should have direct experience in the design and test of mechatronic systems and control systems, preferably in the areas of industrial robotics integration.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
- Support customers, service engineers, and manufacturing engineers to intake and triage production loss and system down escalations as an expert in mechatronic and control systems design.
- Develop and execute troubleshooting and analytical action plans to resolve complex problems at internal manufacturing sites and external customer locations, and perform recreation testing and other various hands-on duties using test and tooling equipment in accordance with prescribed procedures, practices, and specifications.
- Define timely and cost-effective containment actions for issues through mechatronics hardware repair or replacement, servo and robotic submodule retune, and system software or component firmware upgrade.
- Analyze installed base event logging, software tracing, and other various data collected from onboard sensors and actuators of installed base systems to derive submodule performance metrics such as mean-time-between-failure, mean-time-to-repair, and part usage. Use analysis to identify opportunities for proactive maintenance to increase system uptime and improve submodule serviceability.
- Document critical issues through all phases from problem definition to solution implementation.
- Support meetings with customers to review component and system adherence to safety (e.g. OSHA, NFPA) and industry (e.g. ISO, SEMI, SECS) engineering standards such as mechanical volume claims, electrical interfaces, dynamic stability, environment temperature & humidity, and software communication protocols.
Education and experience
- BS in a relevant Engineering field (Mechatronics, Mechanical, Electrical, etc.)
- MS preferred.
- Mechatronics engineering background or specialization in closely related areas such as robotics or other fields.
- Exposure to multi-disciplinary projects, such as imaging/optical systems, semiconductor, or lithography preferred but not required.
- Ability to interpret data using various techniques, derive conclusions, and make practical recommendations.
- Strong technical writing and communication skills in English, including presenting results to audiences of a wide range of technical abilities.
- Basic experience with mechatronics behavior predictive modeling and methods in MATLAB/SIMULINK or similar tools, including “first principle” engineering equations and other techniques.
- Preferred experience with PID controllers, linear and nonlinear calibrations, and flexible dynamics.
- Preferred experience with statistical analysis and data visualizations tools (e.g. MATLAB, TIBCO Spotfire, Minitab, Microsoft Excel).
- Preferred 3+ years of experience with machine failure analysis or industry field troubleshooting.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
- High-energy, quick study with flexible nature.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Additional Responsibilities (as needed in the cleanroom and/or labs):
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be willing to work in a clean room environment, wearing coveralls, hoods, booties, safety glasses and gloves. Working under ISO 9000/14000 standards.
- The environment in the cleanroom is moderate in temperature with moderate to high noise level.
- Working around lasers; working with ladders; working on platforms; and working around chemicals.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
This position is located on-site in Wilton, CT. It requires onsite presence to attend in-person work-related events, trainings and meetings and to further ensure teamwork, collaboration and innovation.
- A flexible workplace arrangement may be available to employees working in roles conducive to remote work (up to two days a week).
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.