You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Mechatronics Design Engineer - Controls
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Introduction to the job
Join ASML Wilton today to receive your sign on bonus and relocation.
*Offer valid for Wilton, CT new hire offers made between now and December 23, 2022.
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
A well-rounded mechatronics engineer in this position will work on mechatronics, precision handling of delicate parts, product and system integration and software functionality, all specific to ASML products. The main focus will be mechatronics and control systems on advanced modules in lithography tools. Candidate should have direct experience in the design and test of mechatronic systems and control systems, preferably in the area industrial robotics integration.
ASML is seeking a Mechatronics / Robotics or Controls Design Engineer to join the Wilton, CT development location as we break new ground in the emerging field of photolithography. As ASML pushes the boundaries of nano-technology beyond current state of the art, we have a need to develop high precision equipment while maintaining a focus on cost effectiveness and reliability. We are looking for someone to help pioneer knowledge in this developing area.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
- Design and develop custom mechatronics systems with a cross sector team, including translating stages, rotary motion, multi-link positioners, sensors, servos, actuators, etc.
- Integration of control systems for industrial robotics into capital equipment, including all aspects such as dynamics, end-effector design, controls, etc.
- Design path optimization algorithms and associated controls for end product.
- Analyze and improve dynamic disturbance response of robotic systems.
- Troubleshoot designs to determine potential risks, failure modes, and corrective actions.
- Responsible for “sustaining engineering” tasks, resolving equipment design issues in a timely fashion as they arise at customer sites.
- Participate in concept designs and experiments for future equipment and subsystems.
- Run complex mechatronic systems for test and qualification of design changes.
- Design quality products using six sigma and lean process techniques for robust designs.
- Create documentation for product designs and operations to be used in a clean manufacturing environment.
- Work with external suppliers to define and develop certain aspects of new product design while collaborating with internal cross discipline teams.
- Take direction from ASML System Architects and Senior Engineer mentors who are leading the development effort of critical large capital equipment.
- Occasional travel to Europe, Asia and within the US can be expected.
Education and experience
- BS in an Engineering field such as Mechatronics, Mechanical, Robotics, Controls, Electrical or similar with 5+ years of work experience in mechatronics engineering or a specialization in closely related areas such as robotics, controls or other fields.
- MS or PhD preferred.
- MATLAB, Simulink, Python or PID experience.
- Customer-oriented and willing to work with high level problem solvers on a daily basis.
- Genuine interest in mechatronics engineering and analysis, as well as in developing precision systems that can perform reliably at customer sites.
- High-energy, quick study with flexible nature.
- Self-motivated team player with strong desire to learn and ability to handle multiple projects and tasks concurrently and with minimal guidance.
- High potential to develop into a technical or personal leader in the organization.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- A challenging opportunity to expand your knowledge in a wide variety of engineering application areas and to work on problems spanning all technical fields.
- Highly creative and qualified teams with a diversity of experience.
- Great career opportunities at a quickly growing high-tech company.
- World-class technical problems to solve.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.