You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Field Service Engineer - based in Oberkochen, Germany
Other technical job categories
In a nutshell
Electrical engineering, Mechanical engineering, Other technical job categories
Introduction to the job
ASML brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. The Company designs, develops, integrate, markets and services these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics.
Cymer is an independently operated business within the ASML group that develops, manufactures and services deep-ultraviolet (DUV) light sources. The product portfolio includes excimer lasers using argon fluoride (ArF) or krypton fluoride (KrF) gases to generate light in the deep-ultraviolet spectrum. These lasers generate the light that photolithography scanners use to image patterns on silicon wafers. The research, development and manufacturing of DUV light sources is centered in San Diego, U.S.A.
Role and responsibilities
The Cymer Field Service Engineer provides onsite field service support through the performance of installations, upgrades, repairs, and maintenance of complex capital laser equipment and systems. The Field Service Engineer troubleshoots either to resolve issues directly or through referring advanced issues to technical support resources.He/she acts as a customer service advocate, instructing customers in the operation and maintenance of the system.
- Analyzes, diagnoses, and troubleshoots Cymer equipment problems via telephone or at customer site
- Performs installation, repair, retrofits, upgrades and preventive maintenance on Cymer equipment installed at customer sites
- Regularly provides assistance, guidance, leadership, and technical assistance to junior or less experienced field service engineers; may serve as site leader for customer
- Maintains and manages an assigned installation equipment base. This includes providing primary support, forecasting, conducting customer support meetings, and ensuring regular communication with the customer
- Assists customers in the receipt, installation, and testing of company equipment
- Conducts equipment troubleshooting, analysis, and debugging in support of installation or operating activities
- Provides service education to customer’s service and operations staff
- Ensures that parts are available and as specified for service requirements
- Maintains appropriate tools are on hand and as required
- Travels as required for the purposes of performing service activities at customer sites or backfilling for other Cymer Field Service Engineers
- Completes service, expense reports, and other administrative responsibilities in accordance with Cymer’s procedures and with supervisor’s approval
- Uses company technical documentation and provides feedback for improvement
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree with a technical emphasis (Electronics, Optics, Mechatronics, Physics)
- Has performed multiple on-site installations and performed as lead on a Beta product release
- Requires experience using the following software packages: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, LabView, Internet Protocol, and Computer Networking
- Must be fluent in both German and English both spoken and written.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Excellent (English and German) written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to analyze data and report problems, to complete accurate, comprehensive service reports, and to
communicate technical issues to other technical staff
- Ability to collect, translate, and analyze data and take action based on effectively report problems though written
and/or graphical representation of data (detailed Post-Mortem Chronological Abstracts, trending analysis, failure
- Excellent customer service skills, with a solid foundation in and an understanding of the importance of relationship
- Ability to facilitate resolution of technical challenges
- Ability to apply knowledge of installation, maintenance/repair, and troubleshooting at both the module and system
level, while seeking expertise of more senior field service engineers where required
- Ability to read and analyze opto-mechanical and electronic schematics.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. §730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.