You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
21 days ago - J-00245187-737
Product Development Manager - ADAPT
Research & development
Other job categories
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Other job categories
Introduction to the job
We have an exciting opportunity for a Product Development Manager to lead our ADAPT and Data Products program in support of DUV Lightsource products used in today’s advanced semiconductor photolithography applications. The position is focused on developing innovative software products to optimize Lightsource availability, reliability, and cost-of-ownership. In addition the position requires a candidate with theoretical and practical background in software engineering, data science, and/or control systems. As the owner of your portfolio, you will lead one or more teams of cross-functional contributors through the product development process while balancing project scope, resources, budget, and schedule.
Role and responsibilities
The primary role of a Product Development Manager (PDM) is to manage the engineering activities within a Development Program. This includes but is not limited to creating and tracking schedules, budgets, costs, performance targets, resource plans, and general planning activities for project deliverables. The PDM is responsible for ensuring that the proper elements of the Product Generation Process (PGP) are known and adhered to across the core team, as well as assessing risk and mitigation strategies, highlighting issues and managing their solutions, and coordinating the various development activities to ensure good cross-program communication.
- Creates, tracks, and ensures schedules, budgets, costs, performance targets (specifications), resource plans, manufacturability, reliability, and other general engineering planning activities.
- Ensures that the PGP is communicated and followed within the program's engineering team.
- Performs post-mortem reviews on key developments and drives necessary changes into the PGP or other applicable areas.
- Manages the effective usage of the Design Review Process within the program's engineering team and facilitate necessary approvals.
- Assesses and highlights risks and develops mitigation plans.
- Proactively communicates issues and manages the solution paths.
- Ensures good cross-functional communication (through effective meetings, email, and other means) to ensure coordination between engineering functional areas and other departments.
- Supports the Program Manager (provides information, fill-in during absence, etc.) as required.
- Ensures successful completion of module and system-level testing, compliance/reliability testing, life testing,, and any activity required as part of the product's release into manufacturing.
- Ensures proper documentation is completed for each development activity, and that adequate documentation exists for product manufacturing (test procedures, drawings, BOMs - Build of Material).
- Interprets, implements, and monitors modifications to department methods, processes and policies that affect multiple work groups.
- May provide advanced management direction to a complex technical subject matter area.
- Leads engineering and cross-functional team members consisting of individual contributors and managers to create and execute product development schedules in compliance with corporate roadmaps, Business and Development guidelines, and Program Manager/Executive guidance on projects. Expedites development process as required to achieve approved program plans.
- Establishes technical design path and verifies design paths by planning and facilitating design reviews to gain
- Engineering and Executive Management approval.
- Responsible for creation of Engineering documentation and specifications from component to product level for assigned projects.
- Provides input and plans for program related expense to the Program Manager for Program budget development and forecasting. Owns budget management as assigned by the Program Manager.
- Validates product design performance and product design quality/reliability at system level with System Scientist and validates product design performance and product design quality/reliability at module/sub-assy/component level with Responsible Engineers.
- Drives development team to meet cost and reproducibility goals. Supports new product introduction to manufacturing by providing production process design requirements, test documentation, and problem solving.
- Contributes to the creation of Product Specifications and shares customer Product Specification approval with Marketing and System Engineering leads. Supports customer technical communications and specification negotiations. Responsible for product documentation release.
- Establishes System Specifications with System Engineer and establishes Modules/Sub-system requirements with Modules/Sub-system leads.
- Manages program allocated product development laser resources. Schedules laser utilization across all laser use customers. Plans and drives laser maintenance and upgrades as required supporting the program plans and maximizing system uptime. Coordinates Test Engineers and Technicians to execute prioritized program tasks and supports task execution as required.
- Creates presentations as required to support internal and external program reviews.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Job description subject to change at any time.
Education and experience
- Requires a Bachelor's Degree or higher in Engineering field (EE, ME preferred) or related technical degree.
- A minimum of six (6) years total development experience with three (3) years previous Engineering experience as individual contributor followed by a minimum of two (2) years project management experience leading complex technical projects/activities.
- Product development experience utilizing phase gate or similar product development process guidelines.
- Experience using Configuration Control tools such as Agile.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service and advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills with the ability to influence, motivate, mentor, and lead team resources.
- Ability to solve problems and implement solutions to complex problems with available resources.
- Ability to access and plan staffing requirements for projects and technical/non-technical qualifications/capabilities of staff members.
- Ability to lead and manage engineering teams to successfully meet their commitments.
- Sufficient technical knowledge and experience to be able to communicate effectively with the engineering teams, and to check/review their plans and progress.
- Excellent organizational, reasoning, planning, and motivational skills.
- Excellent problem-solving techniques.
- Ability to effectively convey information in graphical and chart formats.
- Good meeting practices (proper attendance, agendas, start/stop times, minutes, actions, follow-through).
- Self-starter; self-motivator; willing to do what it takes to get the job done.
- Ability to plan development expenses over a quarter to quarter period and track expenses.
- Ability to adapt processes to improve inefficiencies and accelerate product development.
- Excellent decision making skills and business judgment.
- Understanding of escalation utilization.
- Ability to define and track short and long-term goals and resources.
- Ability to access and project design cost.
- Understanding of engineering control, control rules, and tools.
- Ability to read and optimize engineering documentation.
- Strong organization skills.
- Ability to plan and execute experiments.
- Proficient use of all Microsoft Office suite programs
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- U.S. Flexible Work policy may be available to employees who work in conductive roles. Mutually-beneficial alternative work arrangement must be approved by manager – hybrid working Model.
- May require up to 10% travel (domestic and international) dependent on business needs
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.