You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
12 days ago - J-00245839-460
Scientist - Droplet Generation
Research & development
Computer science & software engineering
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Mechanical engineering, Mechatronics, Computer science & software engineering
Introduction to the job
The EUV source team in San Diego operates in a fast-paced, uniquely innovative and challenging environment to create and productize novel solutions to support EUV product roadmap within ASML.The Droplet Generation System Function is responsible for creating a steady stream of micron-scale droplets of molten tin injected into a vacuum vessel at a rate of tens of thousands per second, which generate EUV light when hit by infrared laser pulses.The functional team is fully responsible for development of the droplet generator, for integration and functional testing of the modules and sub-components, and for overall integration of the module within the system.
The complexity of the droplet generation requirements and corresponding organizational challenges put exciting demands on the Droplet Generation Scientist , who will be working within a multidisciplinary team mastering complex engineering activities of significant technical depth related to multiple phases of the product development, including technology pathfinding, theoretical and experimental feasibility studies, design and development activities, integration and validation testing, problem solving and troubleshooting. Ideal candidates will be incredibly organized, have a strong knowledge of applied physics, metrology, controls, and experiment design, hands-on knowledge of diverse vacuum and gas pressurized equipment,and have a genuine desire to push the boundaries of these technologies forward.
Role and responsibilities
- Guide development of high-level architecture for the formation of tin droplets in the EUV source, as well as metrology systems for measuring the performance of the system, in order to improve the EUV generation process; improve droplet formation models via experimental validation; build and maintain model improvement roadmaps.
- Provide input to technology roadmaps and identify key scientific learning objectives and define corresponding experimental design to arrive at design guidelines, performance requirements and procedures to product teams.
- Identification of key scientific learning objectives and corresponding experimental design which will further the technological progress of the Droplet Generation process.
- Participate in the demonstration of system-wide performance targets to meet the future technology roadmap.
- Develop and execute system and subsystem performance tests, analyze test results and extract actionable knowledge from sub-module to full-system levels.
- Troubleshoot and isolate equipment problems in laboratory and integration testing, assist in analyzing, diagnosing, and troubleshooting problems in the factory and at customer sites remotely and in person.
- Document learning and communicate knowledge to engineering and product development teams to guide product improvement and release of new product nodes.
- Work independently and in teams to deliver on a stated objective, whether it be the pursuit of new knowledge, the demonstration of a new capability, or the characterization of existing performance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and experience
- Requires minimum of PhD degree in a STEM field, MS degree with equivalent experience will be considered.
- Experience with semiconductor capital equipment development is a strong plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge in metrology development and data analysis.
- Deep understanding of scientific research methods and strong scientific curiosity.
- Hands-on experience with complex system design and build, including rapid prototyping, characterization and troubleshooting, and system-level demonstrations.
- The successful candidate will not only have excelled in their technical field, but will have demonstrated inter-personal and communications strengths.
- Extensive experience with experimental data analysis and development of data analysis tools with, for instance, Matlab or Python and data acquisition systems such as NI Labview.
- Ability to clearly and logically communicate ideas and knowledge to various audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead a research project involving multiple stakeholders and constraints.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a part of a team and lead investigation and research efforts
- Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.