You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Research & development
Other technical job categories
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Other technical job categories
Introduction to the job
LPP EUV is generated by firing high energy laser pulses at tin droplet targets at kHz repetition rates inside a vacuum vessel. The resulting plasma pulses create both desired EUV light, and undesired tin debris in the form of ballistic particulates and atomic vapor. If unabated, the tin debris will coat all surfaces in the vessel, including optical components, impacting the transmission of EUV and Laser light. We are looking for a Systems Design Engineer acting in the role of Tin Management Function Architect.
The objective is to identify technologies and design concepts that can be developed to address the undesired tin debris, and partner with Project Management to ensure delivery of robust product solutions. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual with a broad technical background, excellent communication skills, and ability to influence others. As a Function Architect you will work with a team of highly professional engineers and scientists with diverse academic backgrounds and many years of experience. Your job is to provide technical leadership to the team to deliver practical solutions to enable this complex functionality.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
- Develops the roadmap, requirements, specifications, architecture, and technology development needs for Tin Management in the EUV Source, which is required to improve optics lifetime, and overall system availability
- Identifies concepts that can address performance gaps; assesses technology maturity and defines the development and engineering work breakdown for execution by cross-functional teams of seasoned scientists and engineers
- Leads architecture and prototyping definition; works with cross-functional teams of mechanical engineers, materials scientists, optical, electrical and software engineers to develop solutions to roadmap
- Leads a multidisciplinary technical team to develop solutions for challenges problems in a fast paced environment, including issues discovered from conception to prototyping, during productization, and field escalation.
- Breaks down the solution space of a complex problem with multiple unknowns into a set of smaller pieces with identifiable risks and develops risk mitigation plans.
- Assesses technology and project risks and defines risk mitigation strategies and approaches with the project leadership team
- Defines Test Protocols; analyzes test data; makes recommendations based on test results for design changes and operational changes to deliver improved performance of sub-modules
- Interfaces with system engineering and performance integration to demonstrate solutions developed meeting design specifications by test validation.
- Identifies and engages third parties for development of technology solutions; Creates Statements of Work (SOWs) to define phased deliverables for budgeting and project management
- Develops and maintains the specification document tree; writes and/or reviews key specification and design documentation, coordinates key reviews with Systems Engineering and Project Stakeholders to ensure functional specifications are aligned to system requirements
- Supports product/program team to balance between technical excellence and business deliverables.
- Works closely with module designers to ensure the quality of the design is up to a high standard.
- Mentors, coaches and oversees the activity of more junior Architects in the Function and Competence organizations
Education and experience
- MS or Ph.D. in Engineering, Physics or related technical discipline
- 8+ years of experience in a technical leadership role
- Proven ability to carry a product design from conception into production.
- Proven experience with heat transfer analysis and methodologies
- Proven experience in the Interpretation and application of FEA/CFD results to guide hardware and process optimization
- Proven capability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Willingness to travel to HQ or customer sites as needed (<10%)
- Previous role(s) in Technology, Process and/or Engineering Design of Semiconductor processing equipment
- Experience with materials in extreme environments and interactions with liquid metals
- Experience with thermal and gas flow elements of process chamber design
- Experience in design and development of vacuum processing equipment in semiconductor, solar, display and LED industries.
- Experience with Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) modeling, including CFD processing, and post-processing analysis
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Ability to cross functional boundaries to build relationships with all areas in the company, to understand and reconcile higher level company and customer needs.
- Passion for commercialization and driving innovation at a rapid pace
- Highly motivated, enthusiast, flexible and a good communicator
- Think broad, learn fast, take responsibility, act decisively and show critical sense
- Ability to initiate, influence and drive
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.