You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Global Head of Export Control & Sanctions
Other job categories
In a nutshell
Other job categories
Introduction to the job
The Head of Export Control & Sanction will be a highly regarded Trade Compliance professional with experience gained in a leadership position in a Export Control & Sanctions function within an international organization.
Role and responsibilities
The Head of Export Control & Sanction will be an outstanding professional with sound intellectual ability and demonstrable experience in managing compliance resources across multiple businesses and jurisdictions. The Head of Export Control & Sanction will have an academic degree followed by a first-rate training and will also have gained relevant experience in a senior leadership role. The successful candidate will ideally have an experience in the industrial sector and will have worked in a highly international / global organization.
The Head of Export Control & Sanctions should not only be a first-rate specialist but also possess the commercial acumen, appetite and personality to become proactively involved in a wide range of business issues. The successful candidate will be a highly competent professional who can drive change across a geographically diverse team and further develop and upskill the team. The Head of Export Control & Sanctions will be an outstanding leader with sound intellectual ability and demonstrable experience in managing compliance resources across multiple jurisdictions. The ideal candidate must be a proven team builder, executor, collaborator and an agent of change.
The purpose of function of the Head of Export Control & Sanctions is to:
- Drive, with the global team, the global Strategy for Export Control & Sanctions
- Develop, implement and maintain policies and guidelines to safeguard compliance with ASML’s Global Export Control Strategy,
- Manage and drive adherence to this Strategy and its derivative Export Control Policies, in order to assure compliance with Export Control laws and regulations of the jurisdictions to which ASML with its business dealings are subjected to.
- Identification and mitigation of Export Control & Sanctions risk through knowledge of the business facts in combination with the export control laws and regulations in the jurisdictions ASML operates in, and advice and convince the business to adopt the proposed mitigating measures.
- Discuss and negotiate with authorities regarding development in regulations and where appropriate and possible, the implementation at ASML. Maintaining a good and open relationship with the authorities
- Manage export control & sanctions incidents.
The Head of Export Control and Sanctions function is part of the ASML Legal & Compliance team and reports to the Chief Compliance Officer.
Export Control & Sanctions Strategy
- The Head of Export Control & Sanctions will work with the Chief Compliance Officer to develop the strategic objectives and plans for the Export Control & Sanctions function
- Participate in and support strategic projects (including M&A transactions) and support these projects with relevant compliance input, evaluation and investigation (due diligence).
Manage the Export Control team
- Lead the global Export Control & Sanctions team to manage day-to-day operation of these programs including development, implementation and operationalization of all aspects of the program including risk assessment, training and awareness, advisory, policies and procedures, monitoring, raising concerns and investigations.
- Ensure formulation of export control processes to ensure compliance in the jurisdictions ASML operates in. Formulate policies to manage adherence with these processes to secure compliance.
- Set department goals and key results, and manage team and resources, including budget, to hit commitments.
- Develop, cultivate and enable a high-performing compliance team with a diverse membership. Coach and develop the team to transform the compliance function of ASML as a best-in-class organization.
Develop the Export control & Sanctions function in line with the ASML strategic ambition
- Develop and maintain appropriate records and metrics for the Export Control & Sanctions program,
- Measure the compliance program’s effectiveness and continually review and update compliance policies, procedures, controls, training programs to maintain relevance and effectiveness as compared to best practices.
- Lead company-wide assessments to monitor compliance with established Export Control & Sanctions standards and procedures;
- Develop and implement tools/programming/training/communications that promote a strong understanding of the Export Control & Sanctions Compliance program.
Reporting to and advising senior management
- Prepare and deliver reports for the Chief Compliance Officer, the Chief Legal Officer and ASML senior management on the operation and status of the Export Control & Sanctions Compliance programs.
- Act as the secretary to the Export Control Committee and participate in other relevant committees such as the Strategic Sourcing & Supply Chain Committee;
- Collaborate with other departments (e.g. D&E, Customer Support, Human Resources, IT, Internal Audit) to direct Export Control & Sanctions issues to appropriate existing channels;
- Develop and maintain active and constructive working relationships throughout the company to ensure effective cross-functional relationships, including with senior-level management.
- Provide advice and counsel on Export Control & Sanctions;
- Identify potential areas of compliance risk; develop and implement corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues. The role will also involve assessing patterns of conduct to identify and lead, where needed, the updating and improvement of compliance controls.
- Establish her-/ himself as the go-to person for strategic and key operational decisions such as make or buy decisions.
External representation & advocacy
- The Head of Export Control & Sanctions will interact with external regulators on related topics. The Head of Export Control & Sanctions will work with the Chief Compliance Officer as well as the ASML government affairs team to monitor government regulations, especially when these are specific to the ASML activities, participate in industry associations representing ASML and work with or supervise the working with enforcement agencies in case of Export Control or Sanctions incidents;
- Stay up to date on key developments related to the regulatory landscape including benchmarking, research, and best practices.
Education and experience
- University Master degree (law, tax, business economics)
- Minimum 8-12 years of relevant experience in a multinational environment (MNC, big 4 consultancy firm, law firm, government, etc.)
- Recognized by internal and external peers as a subject matter expert in Export Controls & Sanctions.
Able to manage a team in a multi-cultural environment
- Demonstrated experience to interact at the highest level of the company (ExCom, BOM)
- Capable of establishing and maintaining a network both within as outside ASML
- Capable to make decisions in the best interest of ASML
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.