You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Senior Laser Optics Engineer
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Optical engineering, Physics, Electrical engineering
Introduction to the job
ASML US, including its affiliates and subsidiaries, bring together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Laser Optics Engineer in San Diego, Ca. This role will assist with the design of next-generation optical and mechanical sub-systems for the creation and control of EUV radiation and supports the development & integration of innovative core technology elements and/or system concepts into engineering solutions. Requirement is to perform a variety of engineering tasks including designing, developing, testing, analyzing, troubleshooting and implementation of optical subassemblies and modules with a focus on active components including lasers, EOM and AOM. Researches and works with sourcing and supply chain engineering to select future key suppliers for consideration as turn-key providers of sub-systems.
Goals are generally communicated in project "objectives". Work is independent and collaborative in nature. Provides regular updates to manager on project/account status.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assumes optical engineering responsibility for component, module or subsystem design from concept design through manufacturing transfer ramp.
- Works with system architects in developing active optical component specifications.
- Coordinates with the Opto-Mechanical engineer to develop mounted solutions for optical metrology systems, including interactive tolerancing reviews.
- Performs detailed design and component layout for optical systems including: component specification, tolerancing and procedures for new or improved subsystems and validates concepts through breadboard builds and analysis.
- Hands-on opto-mechanical systems build and qualification, including assembly procedure development, alignment and process improvement.
- Interacts closely with development engineers, scientists, suppliers, and QA to resolve quality issues.
- Leads and/or participates in preliminary and critical design reviews.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Education and experience
- Requires minimum of a Master’s degree in Optics, Opto-mechanics or relevant engineering discipline, plus three years industrial experience.
- Experience with definition of and design for alignment strategies for laser systems (hands-on laser system alignment experience strongly preferred).
- Familiar with specification and development of active optical components e.g. EOM, AOM, CW and pulsed visible and NIR lasers.
- Familiar with failure modes and reliability challenges in active optical components.
- Familiar with optical design, tolerancing and analysis software (e.g. Zemax).
- Familiar with non-sequential optical analysis software (e.g. FRED).
- Familiarity with mechanical 3D solid modeling design software (e.g. SolidWorks or NX) an advantage.
- Familiar with the requirements for design and analysis of complex, tight tolerance mechanical and/or opto-mechanical assemblies.
Familiar with aspects of optical engineering including (but not limited to):
- Radiometry theory and optical system design
- Aberration theory and optical design basics
- Optical thin film coatings
- Polarization theory and management
- Methods of mechanically mounting optical components
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timeline.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.