You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Technical Project Manager - Research - Guaranteed sign on bonus and relocation
Research & development
Other technical job categories
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Research & development
Other technical job categories
Introduction to the job
Join ASML Wilton today to receive your sign on bonus and relocation.
*Offer valid for Wilton, CT new hire offers made between now and December 23, 2022.
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
ASML’s Research Group in Wilton, Connecticut is seeking a Technical Project Manager to lead a team of engineers and physicists to conduct Research in the area of mechatronics and optical and photonic sensor systems used within ASML’s photolithography tools. These systems typically include motors, controllers, feedback sensors, light sources, detectors, optical and electro-optical components, fiber optics, electronics and signal processing software functioning in close collaboration with the rest of the lithography system. Specifically, this person will work in a leadership team that will manage researchers as they generate ideas, create agreed priorities and then promote ideas for funding and project status. Once projects are funded the planning and execution responsibility will reside with the Program Manager.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
Are you ready to provide leadership and direction for a team of engineers and physicists generating novel ideas to be ranked? We are looking for someone to participate in funding negotiations and kick off funded projects. These projects will likely involve complex optical and mechatronic systems. Responsibilities include:
- Planning and prioritizing team activities (e.g. create appropriately detailed plans, define deliverables for the engineers, etc.).
- Manage the team structure (e.g. set up a team structure that matches the work content of the work-breakdown structure, understand and utilize the proper escalation paths and acts accordingly, understand project interdependencies and manage them effectively, etc.).
- Delegate tasks and follow up (e.g. run efficient project meetings, delegate necessary tasks to the team, capture and publish meeting minutes and action items consistently, keep daily control, etc.).
- Manage system interdependencies (e.g. learn and understand how your technical deliverables interact, link to other subsystems-managing the interdependencies, etc.).
- Sufficient technical expertise to help drive technical solutions and solve difficult problems when they arise.
- Risk management (e.g. assess risks-performance, reliability and cost risks, understand operation risks-plan mitigation actions, etc.).
- Routinely prepare and deliver status reports to senior management and stakeholders.
- Capacity to lead engineers and scientists in executing activities related to complex development of optical alignment and metrology equipment and mechatronic systems and subsystems.
- Exhibit ownership of the deliverables.
- Expertise at anticipating and solving complex problems by leveraging the capability in the organization.
- Ability to lead researchers as they do preliminary, intermediate and very detailed investigations into viable concepts, ensuring the right balance at all times.
- Capability to clearly communicating progress and status of ongoing activities to managers and to customers.
- Work closely with cross-function groups from other sectors within ASML.
Nominal travel (~10%) to Europe, Asia and within the US can be expected on a routine basis.
Education and experience
- Education in Mechatronic system design/Electrical engineering or similar, or equivalent experience.
- Relevant years’ experience as outlined: Master of Science with 5 years’ experience (or 2 years of ASML experience); PhD With 3 years’ experience (or 1 year of ASML experience).
- Minimum length of experience is outlined above. This experience must meet all of the criteria below in order to be considered for this role.
- Experience working with engineers across disciplines to conduct research work on complex systems in a timely manner.
- Be competent in and/or have affinity with lithography tool design and operation with a capability to adapt and learn more.
- Be able to quickly acquire technical knowledge from documentation and on-the-job training.
- Capable of thoroughly investigating technical issues (e.g. analytically, hands-on in a lab, etc.).
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
- Strong emphasis on creative problem solving and effective communication.
- Be able to break down complex problems with limited data to come to strategies and plans-strong critical thinking capability.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- A commitment to achieving results while under time constraints.
- Responsible, professional communication to senior management at ASML including remote locations.
- High energy, high ownership, high level of dedication.
- Be willing to jump in on new ideas, get a first assessment of priority in the research portfolio and help make strategy decisions alongside the research management team.
- Be able to interface with multidisciplinary groups, working effectively in a team and willing to take on responsibility.
- Follow through and keep multiple simultaneous assignments on schedule.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Additional Responsibilities (as needed in the cleanroom and/or labs):
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be willing to work in a clean room environment, wearing coveralls, hoods, booties, safety glasses and gloves. Working under ISO 9000/14000 standards.
- The environment in the cleanroom is moderate in temperature with moderate to high noise level.
- Working around lasers; working with ladders; working on platforms; and working around chemicals.
This position is located on-site in Wilton, CT. It requires onsite presence to attend in-person work-related events, trainings and meetings and to further ensure teamwork, collaboration and innovation.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.