You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Electrical engineering, Mechanical engineering, Physics
Introduction to the job
ASML US, including its affiliates and subsidiaries, bring together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
We have an exciting opportunity for a Controls/Automation Engineer to join our EUV Source team in San Diego, Ca. The EUV Source team in San Diego operates in a fast-paced, uniquely innovative and challenging environment to create new-to-industry solutions with rapid productization to support an aggressive commercialization plan for the EUV technology within ASML. The Plasma Controls Department is responsible for the development and engineering of the metrology, automation and control loops for the EUV light source system.The complexity of the EUV source puts exciting and challenging demands on the Plasma Controls/Automation Engineers who will be engaged in all phases of the control/automation system development and integration involving control algorithms, real-time embedded software, high speed electronics, precision sensors, and all working under extremely challenging dynamic conditions to produce stable and bright EUV light.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support one or more control/automation subsystems, capable of independent technical decision making.
- Ensure the availability of Test Specifications, and coordinate or execute the testing process and design verification.
- Define, plan, manage and coordinate assigned projects and ensure execution and delivery, within the project management guidelines.
- Assist and support optimal communication of specifications to all relevant parties to improve the decision processes, and prepare the introduction of approved new projects by defining technical specifications on system level for Development & Engineering.
- Applies knowledge in sensors, actuators, control algorithms, automation, software, and data analysis tools to drive control system improvements to enable continuously increased EUV power and system availability.
- Support integration activities including troubleshooting the control/automation system, designing and executing test plans, to ensure the system functions as designed in the EUV light source.
- Document work results with system requirements, design specifications, procedures, and training materials.
- Performs duties as assigned.
Controls and Automation Specific
- Performs the design, development, and implementation of complex algorithms involving controller design, system identification, signal processing and stochastic signal analysis for the EUV Source & other equipment used in the semiconductor industry.
- Generates software and/or firmware requirements for control algorithm and automation implementations.
- Investigates the feasibility of applying scientific and mathematical control design principles and concepts to potential inventions and products.
- Plans and executes laboratory research pertaining to algorithm and automation design and validation.
- Designs and builds tools that allow debugging, analysis and performance evaluation of algorithms.
- Determines the root cause for algorithm failure in products in the manufacturing factory and in fielded units in high-level escalations.
Education and experience
- No experience with a Master’s degree.
- 2+ years’ experience with a Bachelor’s degree.
- Ideal candidate usually possesses degree in Controls, Mechanical, Computer, Chemical, Aerospace or Electrical Engineering or Physics.
- Specialization in advanced control systems preferred.
- Linear systems, feedback control, signal processing, estimation and system identification and non-linear systems postgraduate courses will be highly regarded.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Experience designing and implementing practical feedback control or optimization systems.
- Ability to analyze feedback control systems using classical, modern or nonlinear techniques and theories.
- Knowledge of modern control theory, stochastics, and some nonlinear control theory.
- Working knowledge of and experience with Matlab and Simulink.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report findings through written and/or graphical formats.
- Experience with System Identification desirable.
- Working knowledge of C/C++ and Python desirable.
- Working knowledge of firmware development/VHDL desirable.
- Experience with embedded software systems desirable.
- Experience with FPGA desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.