You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Principal Applications Scientist
Research & development
Other technical job categories
Other job categories
In a nutshell
Research & development
Physics, Other technical job categories, Other job categories
Introduction to the job
ASML is looking for a Senior Semiconductor Process Integration Engineer for the Technology Development Center (TDC) at IMEC. The Technology Development Center extends ASML’s R&D activities in imaging technology, leveraging deep understanding of patterning and process integration for microelectronics in order to determine future opportunities for ASML’s product roadmap.
The role of the TDC is to:
• Understand, anticipate, develop and provide context for lithography and patterning advancement
• Maintain technical contacts within the lithography and patterning community worldwide
• Assist in complex, multi organizational and predictive problem solving
• Provide a technical resource to ASML Senior Management
• Advance and mentor internal technologists
Role and responsibilities
Development of ASML's future products requires a technical leader level understanding of FEOL and BEOL processes in the semiconductor industry. Therefore, we are building up a team of patterning experts who have been technical leaders with either our customers or other semiconductor suppliers, and who will work at IMEC for ASML on advanced patterning.
The Principal Applications Scientist Advanced Patterning - Process Integration will own the patterning and integration aspects of customer patterning roadmaps for ASML, and, along with System Engineering (SE), drive the implications of those roadmaps within the BLs (business lines) of ASML.
- Manages the definition and implementation of patterning experiments aimed at lithography and metrology development within ASML and IMEC
- Drives associated IP, anticipates and (replicates where needed) customer problems with end goal of driving Systems Engineering and Business Line product groups towards high value problems
- Sponsors programs to be run in IMEC-ASML Advanced Patterning Center aimed at uncovering N+3 litho requirements (takes leading role in program definition)
- Leads teams to combine top down and bottom up aspects of complex analyses (i.e. ability to solve complex puzzles without having all key information available)
- Understands overview of all processing modules (e.g. scanner, deposition/etch tools, CD SEM, metrology tools) and has specialized in two to a high enough technical level of proficiency to be able to impact ASML’s product roadmap
- Has a strong relationship with customer/suppliers and understands the needs and applications of the customers
- Focuses on the technical trends for the next 3 – 10 years
- Acts as a technical program leader and is capable of having high impact on strategic decisions
- Balances multiple high visibility projects and is capable of driving results into appropriate parts of ASML
- Manages many strategic uncertainties and is able to nonetheless manage cross sector development/opportunities
- Generates significant IP (>2 per year)
- Leads the competence teams on a professional and technical basis.
Education and experience
- 10+ years of technical experience in FEOL and/or BEOL process integration.
- Over 10 years of experience in leading technical teams.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Expert level analytical skills
- Advanced technical leadership skills
- Ability to develop, execute and communicate a strategic plan to executive level stakeholders.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
The position is in the Technology Development Center (TDC) and reports to the Director of [email protected]
The Principal Scientist works across sectors on (S) VP level of e.g.: Development & Engineering (D&E), BL APPS including Brion and HMI, DUV and EUV, System Engineering (SE),Research.
The Principal Scientist serves as consultant to Fellows, VP Technology and CTO, as well as acting as an externalspokesperson for TDC and ASML.
The Principal Scientist provides technology development oversight to ASML.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. §730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.