You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Sr Electrical Design Engineer
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Introduction to the job
ASML US, including its affiliates and subsidiaries, brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Ariz., San Jose and San Diego, Calif., Wilton, Conn., and Hillsboro, Ore.
The Electrical Design Engineer participates in the design, development, maintenance, testing and manufacturing support of Embedded Control Systems for deep ultraviolet (DUV) light sources. Contributions to the design of the integrated light source system control system include hardware architecture, sub-system decomposition, modules, firmware and elements; provides engineering support for product’s full life cycle.Participates in cross-functional Program teams and works with suppliers and other engineering groups to define, create and implement Controls and Electrical Systems designs and associated engineering and manufacturing documentation. Technologies include PCI, PCIe, CAN, PC104, other bus structures, SPI, ethernet, photo-detector arrays, differential signaling, wideband circuits; high speed real-time embedded computing, VHDL & Verilog Logic Design, distributed signal acquisition, and signal integrity in a noisy environment.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
- Applies Electrical/Electronic Engineering skills to design solutions for sustaining and new product development.
- Under limited supervision, exercises appropriate design and analysis as required to meet design objectives.
- Completes design projects using appropriate embedded controls requirements & specification development, design, design verification and quality process controls.
- Assists in creating development and resource plans for focused engineering projects.Coordinates with Functional Management or Senior Engineers to prioritize and complete work assignments.Creates engineering change orders, commissions and approves engineering drawings, develops documentation, and evaluates prototype modules.
- Interacts with Suppliers, Procurement, Manufacturing, and other Cymer employees to develop designs, acquire prototypes and produce special-build/experimental modules.
- Completes module and sub-module lifecycle evaluation with minimal oversight.
- Facilitates smooth transition of new designs to Manufacturing, including assessment of technical risk and feedback on qualification testing plan.
- Facilitates product sustaining engineering for released designs through continuous quality monitoring & improvement, obsolescence mitigation, and field and factory support.
Education and experience
- Requires a BS’s Degree in Electrical Engineering with design experience with relevant technologies or BS plus 4-8 yrs design experience in relevant technology.
- Requires knowledge of FPGA design technologies and design experience including VHDL code development, synthesis, constraint design, implementation, optimization, and design verification.
- Requires Analogand Digital Design circuit design fundamentals.
- The successful candidate must be familiar with a schematic capture CAD package as well as demonstrated familiarity with electrical simulation CAD software.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Required knowledge of PCI, PCIe, PC104, FPGA, VHDL, real-time embedded control, and CAN BUS Standard.
- Required knowledge of designs using PLC and FPGA.
- Hands on firmware design experience including VHDL code development, synthesis, constraint design, implementation, optimization, and design verification.
- Hands on hardware design experience with analog and digital design solutions; including design requirements, detailed design & review, component selection & evaluation, procurement, design validation, and release.
- Hands on hardware troubleshooting experience with analog and digital designs at board, module and system level.
- Experience with engineering test equipment - logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, communication bus analyzers, etc.
- Requires experience using the following software packages: OrCAD, PADS, Visio, Excel, LabVIEW, MS Project, and Agile.Java, Visual Basic programming knowledge is desired but not required.
- Requires experience with Schematic Capture, Simulation and Design Tools (OrCAD, PSpice , PADS, Xilinx Vivado preferred).
- Working knowledge of finite element analysis techniques, sufficient to direct/interact with outside consultants employed for FEA modeling.
- Ability to apply knowledge of installation, repair, and troubleshooting at board, module, and system level.
- Change management and control; Preferred knowledge of AGILE.
- Ability to write technical and status reports, business correspondence, and procedures.
- Demonstrated high level of accountability, responsibility, and technical competence.
- Must be task focused and have a results oriented attitude and approach to the job responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a process driven team environment.
- Ability to use structured problem solving to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Project planning and execution
- Interest and exposure to control algorithms is preferred.
- Basic knowledge in utilizing design engineering tools including the capability of statistically analyzing data and reporting
it in graphical formats (trend charts, CpK, Control Charts, Gauge R&R Studies).
- Broad technical knowledge of cabling concepts, connectivity concepts.
- Desired Experience EMC (Induced & Conducted) mitigation.
- Experience designing using best practices like DFX (DFM, DFT)
- Desired Experience with Pulsed Power and High Voltage DC Power Supply design.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Role within office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.