You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Research Group Lead Light Sources
Research & development
In a nutshell
Research & development
Optical engineering, Physics
Introduction to the job
Are you a bright and ambitious leader who wants to contribute to the next generation of semiconductor tools and applications shaping our world? Do you have a proven track record in a leadership position? Then, this management position might be the right opportunity for you.
Role and responsibilities
As a Group Lead of the Light Sources group, you are part of the research management team. This is a challenging role where you manage interactions with various disciplines and competences within the ASML organization, as well as with the outside scientific community. Next to that, you lead by example, inspiring a group of professionals within the field of Light Sources for Optical Metrology.
In this role you are:
Managing a group:
- Leading and managing a group of ~20 professionals with extensive connections outside your own group
- Creating and deploying a group mission and vision
- Leveraging and developing the skills of the professionals by creating teams with complementary skills and coaching them in personal effectiveness and development
- Hiring world-class group members to excel in project deliverables
- Responsible for the planning and allocation of people to the various project activities, in cooperation with program and project managers. You ensure the availability and adoption of best known methods, standards and tooling. Involved in rolling out the HR activities, like target setting, development conversations, appraisals etc
- Sponsor from the Research staff towards one or two projects in your scope of influence, guarding the full staffing needs and the technical direction of the projects (Main-GL role)
- Contributing to group overarching activities by cooperation with colleagues, being part of the Research management team.
Owning competences in the areas of Light Sources:
- Responsible for driving development and maintenance of the technical competence. You are recognized as one of the experts in these fields inside and outside ASML
- Able to review and challenge content decisions made by senior stakeholders inside and outside the ASML Research organization
- Building and maintaining a strong network in- and outside ASML. You initiate and maintain cooperation with leading suppliers, universities and knowledge institutes in these fields of expertise. Part of this is the co-creation of academic research proposals and applying for government funding
- Contributing to the strategy and goals of the company. You have an overview how the competences fit the business needs, and how existing and new competences need to be developed
- Taking ownership to get and keep in best class the research facilities (e.g. by preparing and defending CAPEX proposals).
Education and experience
You have a Master’s or PhD (preferred) in Physics and strong affinity and experience with Light Sources for Optical Metrology applications. Ideally you have started your career in research in an academic environment and continued your career in industry where you have developed managerial skills.
- You have experience in applied research in academia and/or industry and are recognized as one of the main contributors
- You have at least 5-10 years of experience in managing teams in relevant fields of science
- You possess knowledge in dealing with the balance of research and deadlines within an industrial environment
- Knowledge of different Light Sources technologies, relevant to Optical Measurement Systems, especially in an industrial setting, as well as an established network in these fields, is highly valued.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Understand how to operate within a complex, matrix organization where decision making processes are influenced by many (external) factors
- Strong analytical skills, intelligent, quick thinker
- Motivated by new technical content
- Driven to push boundaries
- Strong proven managerial skills
- Able to grow people and teams
- Excellent communication skills.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Context of the position
The ASML Research Department is responsible for the research activities of ASML and works on programs with time to market of approximately 5-10 years. Research works closely together with the System Engineering department and with Development & Engineering teams of ASML, usually in the form of Projects.
This position manages a team of approximately 15-20 people that are responsible for the mid-term applied research in the field of Light Source technologies, aimed at Optical Measurement Systems.
This is a senior management role which combines deep technical knowledge, experience and overview with strong management and people development skills.
This position requires access to U.S. controlled technology, as defined in the United States Export Administration Regulations. Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such U.S. controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access U.S. controlled technology.
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.