You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Introduction to the job
ASML US, LP brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Wilton, CT, Chandler, AZ, San Jose, CA and San Diego, CA.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
The mission of the Senior Mechanical Design Engineer at ASML is to create incredible products using the latest technology and manufacturing techniques, while collaborating with a team of dedicated and high-performing technical experts.Quality is at the forefront of the engineering requirements for this group and we strive to provide the best performing and highest quality products within the scope of the program schedule.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports an assigned light source sub-system project through direct technical advice, specifications/design, approvals, and collaboration with Development Engineering team.
- Provides a broad mechanical engineering design background and performs mechanical engineering analysis (stress, vibrations, thermal), design for control and distribution of inert and hazardous gases, air and water handling for thermal management of equipment and enclosures, large enclosure design, electrical component packaging, mechanical structural mounts and fixtures, design for manufacturability in low volume products, and design for configuration management.
- Generates module or system concepts to meet product requirements.
- Performs detailed design and component layout for new or improved subsystems.
- Assumes engineering responsibility for component and subassembly test development, data acquisition, analysis, and reporting.
- Performs tolerance analysis at system and subsystem level.
- Performs analytical analysis for thermal and structural components and sub-modules.
- Assists in project planning including key deliverables, timeline, and budget.
- Works with other Engineers analysts and CAD Designers for prototype and pilot detailed design.
- Supports driving full documentation of design including, BOM, drawings, and procedures.
- Responsible for the research and selection of new suppliers with potential for turn-key provision of key subsystems.Responsible for providing technical expertise in the core technology area of the potential suppliers to reveal best design path and performance.
- Interacts closely with development engineers, scientists, suppliers, and QA to resolve quality issues.
- Advises Project Leads with technical expertise.
- Advises and mentors lower level mechanical design engineers.
- Presents technical data to a broad audience.
- Possible travel domestic / international (10%).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and experience
- Requires minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of (12) years of relevant work experience. Can consider a Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of (10) years of relevant work experience.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats
- Skilled in designing complex parts and / or assemblies
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and able to work on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to delegate work as needed.
- Experience with tolerance analysis at system and subsystem level.
- Working knowledge of engineering materials i.e. ferrous and non-ferrous/refractory metals.
- Proficiency in Engineering Change (ECN / ECR) process required.
- Proficiency in making 2D drawings and application of Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) required.
- Proficiency in Solid Modelling required. Siemens NX preferred.
- Proficiency in PLM software, Siemens Team Center Engineering preferred.
- Experience performing and reviewing Finite Element Analysis, Ansys or NX simulation preferred, with the ability to validate with hand calculations.
- Previous experience working in the Semiconductor industry preferred
- Working knowledge of standard machining and fabrication techniques highly preferred (design for manufacturing).Knowledge of welding practices a plus.
- Proficiency in MS Office tools (Excel, Word, Power Point, Visio & Outlook) required.
- Ability to organize work effectively and have a systematic approach to problem solving in a dynamic work environment.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus including working while fully gowned in a clean room environment.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- The employee may be required to travel based on business needs.
- Ability to work onsite in first, second or third shift, as needed.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Extended periods of time in a clean room environment should be expected. Requires gowning in Class 10K gowning protocol.
- May need to work in labs with equipment that emit high-pitched noise.
- May spend extended periods of time at a computer workstation.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.