You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
MC Architect/Analyst - Flow induced Vibrations
Research & development
Other technical job categories
In a nutshell
Research & development
Mechanical engineering, Physics, Other technical job categories
Introduction to the job
Within the ASML development organization for our Extreme Ultra-Violet (EUV) products, our Machine Conditioning (MC) department is responsible for achieving extremely challenging levels of temperature stability while also minimizing particle and chemical contamination. This is accomplished by systems with water-controlled cooling and controlled gas flows.
The performance of high-precision mechatronics systems, such as ASML’s lithography machines, can be affected by flow-induced vibrations (FIV) caused especially by the flow of cooling water. The pressure fluctuations generated in this way can travel through water circuits as acoustic pressure waves leading to disturbance forces on the machine structure and affecting machine performance.
Role and responsibilities
The proposed role would focus in particular on this topic and include developing insight into the sources of the vibrations and the measures that can be taken to control and reduce them. Any relevant experience in this area would be a definite advantage.
This is a wide-ranging role for which candidates are responsible for the specification, development and functional integration of these systems. This work consists of a translation of the overall System Design into a successful architecture that meets these requirements; a creation of the budgeting to the different users in the system, and communication to, and where necessary negotiation between, the users. The role may also involve the use of a range of modeling tools to analyze and predict the performance of the system. Another aspect of the work is to bring the resulting system design into operation with all the specified functions and a verification test to prove that the architecture is working as intended during the specification phase.
Preferred background and responsibilities include;
- Having experience and/or affinity with vibrations that are created in and/or propagate through liquids.
- Define the specification of a machine conditioning system, document this and present in the organization where necessary.
- Propose technical solutions to fulfil the specifications.
- Take care of the functional integration of the water and gas-system and prove the function with a test.
- Document the results and present this to the organization.
- Analyze issues of the water/gas system and propose solution directions.
- Perform appropriate calculations and simulations to predict the functionality of the water/gas-system.
- Achieve knowledge gain by literature search, experimental testing or supervision of external research activities.
Education and experience
Technical Master’s Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering, Applied Physics or related technical disciplines. Preferably with specialization in a technical area involving flow, dynamics, acoustics and thermal aspects.
2-7 years of solid design, theoretical and experimental experience in the above mentioned field of interest either in research or industry.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Ability to work independently in a dynamic environment.
- Good communicational skills and good knowledge of English.
- Ability to communicate well to all relevant stakeholders.
- Strong pragmatic attitude with an analytical view.
- Ability to organize and conduct their own tests.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.