You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Principal Electronics Architect
Research & development
Other technical job categories
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Electrical engineering, Other technical job categories
Introduction to the job
Leads the definition, specification and validation of highly reliable electronics for EUV light sources. Participates in cross-functional teams and works with other architects and engineering groups to outline and create Controls and Electrical Systems as well as associated engineering documentation. Contributes to roadmap planning, promotes innovation and incorporates relevant new technologies and methodologies. Provides guidance to the team with different technologies including cPCI, PCIe, PLC, EtherCAT, Ethernet, photo-detectors, differential signaling, wideband circuits; high speed embedded computing, VHDL, distributed signal acquisition, and signal integrity in a noisy environment. Assists management with schedule and project planning activities.
Role and responsibilities
- Define, specify and oversee subsystems to meet the overall system specifications, costs and project planning boundaries. Cooperate with other disciplines and suppliers to ensure the timely realization of reliable, high availability and serviceable products. Participate in the definition of system specifications.
- Select the right hardware architecture to facilitate the efficient implementation of the required functionality within an intricate environment with multiple interdependencies.
- Take the lead in decisions about the direction that needs to be taken and drive these ideas.
- Show technical leadership to assist Electrical Engineers and steer them to use best design practices.
- Influence stakeholders to realize the hardware architecture changes and design methods.
- Review functional and hardware design documents.
- Take responsibility for the quality of hardware building blocks.
- Communicating with Architects and Designers from different fields.
- Preferred knowledge of PCIe, FPGA, VHDL, PLC, embedded control, and EtherCAT.
- Hands on hardware design experience with analog and digital design solutions; including design requirements, detailed design & review, component selection & evaluation, procurement, design validation, and release.
- Hands on hardware troubleshooting experience with analog and digital designs at board, module and system level.
- Experience with engineering test equipment – logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, communication bus analyzers, etc.
- Experience with Schematic Capture, Simulation and Design Tools
- Ability to apply knowledge of installation, repair, and troubleshooting at board, module, and system level.
- Knowledge on change management and version control tools.
- Ability to write technical specifications, status reports, business correspondence and procedures.
Education and experience
- Typically has advanced degree (Master's, PhD). Minimum of twelve (12) years of experience is required.
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline. MSEE or PhD a plus
- Requires design experience with relevant technologies.
- Requires Analog and Digital Design circuit design fundamentals.
- Knowledge of FPGA design technologies and VHDL.
- Strong communicator with pragmatic attitude.
- Team player with quality orientation.
- Takes ownership, decisive.
- Demonstrated high level of accountability, responsibility and technical competence.
- Must be task focused and have a results oriented attitude and approach to the job responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a process driven team environment.
- Ability to use structured problem solving to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Broad technical knowledge of cabling concepts, connectivity concepts, EMC, safety.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to be on call and work hours as required to solve problems that arise with internal and external customers.External customers could be outside the US.
- The environment requires working with a firing laser (which is noisy) and/or working in a manufacturing clean room environment from time to time.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.