You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Research Project Lead - Droplet Generator
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Physics, Mechanical engineering
Introduction to the job
ASML US, including its affiliates and subsidiaries, bring together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology
Role and responsibilities
We have an exciting opportunity for a Project Lead to join a dynamic and innovative Technology Development team, focused on conceiving and demonstrating the technologies required for next generations of high-power extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light sources. Based on a laser produced plasma (LPP), our light source relies on a wide range of unique and challenging technologies, ranging from laser light amplification and high-power optical systems to laser produced plasma for EUV generation, electro-optical signal detection and algorithm-based actuation for process control. You are invited to bring your passion, knowledge and expertise in areas of applied physics, plasmas, metrology, optics, controls, lasers, and experiment design to push the boundaries of these technologies forward.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership of assigned EUV research projects within the S-Next research program.
- Leads thefacilitation of the generation and maintenance of technology roadmaps, alignment of the roadmaps to the program planning, and project-level execution of the activities within the scope of these roadmaps as they support the program objectives.
- Generates and maintains project plans, detailing all activities to be conducted within the assigned EUV research projects, including test planning, securing resources, test execution, report generation,etc.
- Ensures proper documentation is completed for each activity within the project, and that adequate documentation exists for the product program and D&E (feasibility results, test procedures, drawings, BOMs).
- Secures engineering and resourcing support to enable rapid prototyping of hardware, software, electronics, etc., to support the technology program.
- Provides outward reporting towards senior management of the progress and forward looking roadmap of the assigned research projects.
- Ensures the successful demonstration of system-wide performance targets to meet the future technology roadmap, as conducted by the project members.
- Enables technical project team to successfully identify key scientific learning objectives and corresponding experimental design which will further the technological progress of the EUV source.
- Works proactively communicates issues and manages the solution paths. Assesses and highlights risks and develops mitigation plans.
- Supports the Program Manager (provides information, fill-in during absence, etc.) as required.
- Ensures completion and delivery of documents of the project team members and facilitate the communication of knowledge to engineering and product development teams.
- Provides management of the triple constraint: timing, budget, and resourcing.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Education and experience
- Possess very strong skills acquired through advanced training, study and experience.
- BS or MS degree with 5+ years of relevant experience in physics, plasma engineering, mechanical engineering, photonics or equivalent technical field.
- Successful demonstration of project management and leadership over the full life-cycle of a project, with corresponding successful completion and delivery of project objectives.
- Understanding of scientific research methods and strong curiosity.
- The successful candidate will not only have excelled in their technical field, but will have demonstrated inter-personal and communications strengths.
- Hands-on experience with complex system design and build, characterization, troubleshooting.
- Ability to clearly and logically communicate ideas and knowledge to various audiences.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead a research project involving multiple stakeholders and constraints.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a part of a team and lead investigation and research efforts.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Requires working with a firing laser (which is noisy) occasionally.
- Requires working in a manufacturing clean room environment occasionally.
- Requires working with lasers in noisy environments (requiring ear protection) and potential radiation hazards (requiring eye and skin protection).
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.