You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Engineering Manager - Research
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Introduction to the job
Join ASML Wilton today to receive your sign on bonus and relocation.
*Offer valid for Wilton, CT new hire offers made between now and December 23, 2022.
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
Founded in 1984, ASML is the world’s leading provider of lithography systems for the semiconductor industry, manufacturing complex machines that are critical to the production of integrated circuits or microchips. The mission of the Mechanical Development department is to design and develop the complex mechanics for these machines, which are some of the highest precision products ever produced in the world. This position is based on-site in Wilton, CT, which has both R&D and manufacturing operations. We design and produce multiple sub-system modules that are shipped to our headquarters in Veldhoven, The Netherlands where they are integrated into the full lithography machine.
ASML’s Research Group in Wilton, CT is seeking a line Manager (or group lead) to lead a team of engineers and physicists to conduct Research in the area of mechatronics and optical and photonic sensor systems used within ASML’s photolithography tools. These systems typically include motors, controllers, feedback sensors, light sources, detectors, optical and electro-optical components, fiber optics, electronics and signal processing software functioning in close collaboration with the rest of the lithography system. Specifically, this person will lead and manager researchers as they generate ideas, create agreed priorities and then promote ideas for funding and project status.
We are looking for someone with a technical background, strong people leadership skills, and the drive and ownership to jump in and support their employees' growth and wellbeing as well as support project deliverables as needed. This is a technical group where a complex engineering background and analytic thought are as important as inspiring leadership and people development. A background in design of metrology, processes, precision hardware, or complex optical systems is desirable, as well as good complex system and process intuition.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
As direct line manager, you will partner closely with the Project Managers regarding present and future scope and timing of deliverables. Be accountable for the quality, technical integrity, and planning for on time execution of deliverables. Collaborate on project planning, attend design reviews, and review and approve technical documentation. Be responsible for hiring direct, contract, and intern/Co-Op employees. Meet regularly one on one with your team members and hold regular team meetings to provide mentoring, coaching, and career development guidance. Collect feedback, provide input to salary and promotion decisions, and deliver annual performance evaluations. You will also be challenged to identify and lead continuous improvement projects that improve the way of working, increase collaboration, and streamline our ASML processes.
- Responsible for people management and career development activities including recruiting, onboarding, training, mentoring, coaching, and performance evaluation.
- Responsible for leading a group to perform conceptual design, analysis, and research of new products and innovative changes to existing products using complex or novel engineering approaches and used advanced engineering tools.
- Work with multiple engineering disciplines and co-developers to ensure timely realization of competitive, serviceable products that keep the semiconductor industry moving forward.
- Exposure to multi-disciplinary projects, such as mechatronics or optical systems and developing the skillsets within the Advanced Development Center organization to successfully realize leading edge complex machines that are critical to the production of integrated circuits and microchips.
- Responsible for resource management working with Project Leaders to anticipate program staffing and skillset needs and to optimally allocate work between onsite personnel and external codevelopers.
- Lead continuous improvement projects to further improve the quality and efficiency of the organization.
Education and experience
A degree in Chemical, Electrical, Mechanical or other engineering, Physics, Material Science, Mathematics or equivalent experience.
- Bachelor’s degree with minimum 8 years’ experience.
- Master’s degree with minimum 7 years’ experience.
- PhD with minimum 5 years’ experience.
Minimum qualifications– the hired candidate must possess all of the minimum qualifications to be initially considered for the position including:
- Minimum # of years of relevant experience in the development of complex high-tech systems. (see above).
- Minimum of 3 years of direct management, project management, or similar leadership experience in a technical field.
- Required technical skills.
- Knowledge/hands-on experience with software/technical tools.
- Strong English communication skills– both written and oral, ability to influence.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
- Possess strong leadership and ownership characteristics-demonstrated commitment to achieving results on time.
- Have strong written and oral communicative skills-ability to communicate effectively to your team and to senior management.
- Demonstrated “team player” with a quality orientation and interpersonal skills.
- Capability to interface with multidisciplinary groups (including senior leadership), and be willing to take on responsibility, follow through and keep multiple simultaneous projects on schedule.
- Be willing to own the integrated systems performance, and support the entire product life-cycle (development through sustaining engineering). Strive to enable your team to deliver the right design solution for the right cost at the right time.
- Ability to inspire and coach individuals and groups to achieve career development and performance targets.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.