You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Technical Project Manager - Research - Guaranteed sign on bonus and relocation
Research & development
Other technical job categories
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Research & development
Other technical job categories
Introduction to the job
Join ASML Wilton today to receive your sign on bonus and relocation.
*Offer valid for Wilton, CT new hire offers made between now and December 23, 2022.
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
ASML’s Research Group in Wilton, CT is seeking a Technical Project Manager (level 1) to lead a team of engineers and physicists to conduct Research in the area of mechatronics and optical and photonic sensor systems used within ASML’s photolithography tools. These systems typically include motors, controllers, feedback sensors, light sources, detectors, optical and electro-optical components, fiber optics, electronics and signal processing software functioning in close collaboration with the rest of the lithography system. Specifically, this person will work in a leadership team that will manage researchers as they generate ideas, create agreed priorities and then promote ideas for funding and project status.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
Provide leadership & direction to a team of engineers and physicists to generate novel ideas to be ranked. Participate in funding negotiations. Kick off funded projects. Projects will likely involve complex optical and mechatronic systems.
- Plan and prioritize team activities: create appropriately detailed plans, define deliverables for the engineers.
- Manage the team structure: Set up a team structure that matches the work content of the work-breakdown structure; Understand an utilize the proper escalation paths and acts accordingly; Understand project interdependencies and manage them effectively.
- Delegate tasks and follow up: Run efficient project meetings; delegate necessary tasks to the team; capture and publish meeting minutes and action items consistently; keep daily control.
- Manage system interdependencies: learn and understand how your technical deliverables interact and link to other subsystems-manage the interdependencies.
- Sufficient technical expertise to help drive technical solutions and solve difficult problems when the arise.
- Risk management: assess risks-performance, reliability and cost risks; understand operation risks-plan mitigation actions.
- Routinely prepare and deliver status reports to senior management and stakeholders.
- Nominal travel (~10%) to Europe, Asia, and within the US can be expected on a routine basis.
Education and experience
A degree in Physics or an Engineering discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Bachelor’s degree with minimum 5 years’ experience.
- Master’s degree with minimum 3 years’ experience.
- PhD with minimum 2 years’ experience.
Relevant experience as outlined above includes:
Minimum qualifications– the hired candidate must possess all of the minimum qualifications to be initially considered for the position including:
- Minimum # of years of relevant experience in the development of complex high-tech systems. (see above).
- Minimum of 3 years of direct management, project management, or similar leadership experience in a technical field.
- Five or more years of leadership experience required. Experience in working with engineers across disciplines to conduct research work on complex systems in a timely manner. Strong emphasis on creative problem solving and effective communication.
- Strong English communication skills– both written and oral, ability to influence.
- Be able to break down complex problems with limited data to come to strategies and plans-strong critical thinking capability.
- Have strong written and oral communication skills and a commitment to achieving results while under time constraints. Responsible, professional communication to senior management at ASML including remote locations. High energy, high ownership, high level of dedication.
- Be willing to jump in on new ideas, get a first assessment of priority in the research portfolio and help make strategy decisions alongside the research management team.
- Be competent in and/or have affinity with: lithography tool design and operation with a capability to adapt and learn more.
- Be able to interface with multidisciplinary groups and work effectively in a team and be willing to take on responsibility, follow through and keep multiple simultaneous assignments on schedule.
- Be able to quickly acquire technical knowledge from documentation and on-the-job training and be capable of thoroughly investigating technical issues (analytically and hands-on in a lab).
- The candidate must have the capacity to lead engineers and scientists in executing activities related to complex development of optical alignment and metrology equipment and mechatronic systems and subsystems; The candidate must exhibit ownership of the deliverables.
- The candidate must have expertise at anticipating and solving complex problems by leveraging the capability in the organization; the candidate must have the ability to lead researchers as they do preliminary, intermediate and very detailed investigations into viable concepts, ensuring the right balance at all times.
- The candidate must have the capability to clearly communicating progress and status of ongoing activities to managers and to customers, and to work closely with cross-function groups from other sectors within ASML.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.