You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Group Leader - EUV Source Research Plasma Team
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Physics, Electrical engineering, Optical engineering
Introduction to the job
ASML US, LP brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Wilton, CT, Chandler, AZ, San Jose, CA and San Diego, CA.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
We have an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic and innovative Technology Development team, focused on conceiving and demonstrating the technologies required for next generations of high-power extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light sources. Based on a laser produced plasma (LPP), our light source relies on a wide range of unique and challenging technologies, ranging from laser light amplification and high-power optical systems to laser produced plasma for EUV generation, electro-optical signal detection and algorithm-based actuation for process control. You are invited to bring your passion, knowledge and expertise in areas of applied physics, plasmas, metrology, optics, controls, lasers, and experiment design to push the boundaries of these technologies forward.
This team identifies system-level operating points for stable EUV production, charting the path to higher average EUV powers to meet future needs of the EUV roadmap. This research team has a system-level responsibility for pathfinding and innovating technologies that enable defining the next generation EUV source architecture, where a complete proto-type EUV source can be developed to allow system-level performance demonstrations. The group serves as the source research interface to System Engineering and the D&E Source functions. Competencies include plasma physics, EUV metrology and spectroscopy, laser-matter interaction, and controls science and technology.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads and manages the Plasma and EUV Generation Group within ASML’s EUV Technology Development department.
- Advances the EUV source architecture for next generation products.
- Maintains an organizational ethos that allows idea generation, concept development and demonstration in a fast fail manner.
- Guides team in the areas of plasma physics, simulation and modeling, experimental science techniques and methods, data analysis, and design of EUV and plasma metrology modules.
- Supports best practices, methodology, processes and systems that allow architecture pathfinding and proof of concept demonstration as well as full system-level demonstration and de-risking via rapid prototyping of technical innovations.
- Implements sound engineering processes that provide for efficient use of platform utilization, resource allocation and product planning.
- Provides technical leadership and operational credibility and have a balcony/dance engagement within the team and with strategic partners.
- Recruits, mentors and develops a highly cohesive team.
- Provides group direction: translate company and department requirements and goals into group policy and team goals.
- Leads and/or participates in preliminary and critical design reviews.
- Ensures quality of operation of your group by reviewing of technical solutions, procedures and documentation delivered by the group and signing-off as required.
- Drives a strong safety culture within the group as well as accountability for Lab safety.
- Conducts periodic performance reviews and one-on-ones for direct employees.
- Delivers technical and progress reports and presentations to upper management and internal / external customers.
- Drives budget and resource requests for annual financial budgeting.
- Manages suppliers and contractors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and experience
- Requires a MS or PhD in Optics, Opto-Mechanics, Electrical/Photonics Engineering or Physics, or other related science discipline.
- Minimum of 8 years in technical engineering roles.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in a technical leadership, project leadership or management role.
- Familiar with technical aspects of engineering modules with multiple challenging mechanical, material, physical and optical constraints and interfaces.
- Possess a good understanding of mechanics, physics and optics analysis software packages as well as data analysis tools such as Matlab.
- Familiar with the requirements for design and analysis of complex mechanical assemblies.
- Experience with high pressure devises, jet breakup and droplet formation is a plus.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus including working while fully gowned in a clean room environment.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The employee may be required to travel based on business needs.
- Ability to work onsite in first, second or third shift, as needed.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Extended periods of time in a clean room environment should be expected. Requires gowning in Class 10K gowning protocol.
- May need to work in labs with equipment that emit high-pitched noise.
- May spend extended periods of time at a computer workstation.
The California base annual salary/hourly range for this role is currently $154,500.00-$257,500.00. Pay scales are determined by role, level, location and alignment with market data. Individual pay is determined through interviews and an assessment of several factors that that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to, job-related skills, relevant education and experience, certifications, abilities of the candidate and pay relative to other team members. Our recruiters can share more information about our bonus program, benefits and equity during the hiring process.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.