You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
EHS Line Manager
Other technical job categories
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Other technical job categories
Introduction to the job
ASML US, including its affiliates and subsidiaries, bring together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
The ASML San Diego (SD) site consists of two sectors, ASML SD and Cymer Light Source. ASML SD is responsible for the research of the EUV light source, the development and engineering of critical EUV source technologies and the making & installing of these technologies. Cymer light source is responsible for managing all aspects of the DUV light source business.
The EHS manager for the site is responsible for managing the EHS team and all EHS programs and processes required to safeguard employees and surrounding communities and to ensure that ASML facilities are following Federal, State and Local regulations. This position leverages ways of working as part of the ASML-wide EHS network.
EHS Assurance - Driving EHS Assurance Process
- Create a factory specific EHS Heatmap and Roadmap.
- Execute assessments (incl. Self-assessment).
- Drive reporting and follow-up on safety incidents / near misses / good catches (root cause analysis and efficiency check).
- Drive inspection management to assist in management of critical safety programs such as Laser Safety, Lockout/Tagout, environmental protection and OSHA Compliance.
- Drive internal assessments (14001) and follow-up of non-conformances / agreed upon OFI’s in a timely manner.
- Facilitate external ISO assessor audits within the site.
- Manage means & methods to support safe work (RIE, HIRA, aligned Risk ranking, review of Corporate Standards, Safety Risk Assessments (SRA’s), Safety Review Boards (SRB’s), safety review of procedures, root cause analysis, onsite supplier improvement, … ).
EHS Ambassador - Promoting & Advancing the desired Independent Culture
Drive X-sector connection on safety
- Implement EHS initiatives to build and promote EHS culture/ EHS mindset of factory employees (LSR, share learnings from incidents, audits, ask actively for situations to improve, …).
- Align activities EHS with stakeholders, creating ownership at the right level.
- Stimulate/recognize good EHS behavior.
- Develop the EHS Community to increase value add.
- Communicate actively about status of safety improvements / issues.
- Give EHS training.
- Develop safety culture maturity.
- Lead EHS Committee to promote employee engagement and education throughout the site.
EHS Improvement - Drive involvement of all employees to improve our Safety Culture
- Establish metrics and conduct data analysis to find sector-wide safety improvements.
- Lead site-wide projects.
- Deliver content for EHS trainings and Corporate Standards.
- Find Business Partners across the site and share best practices.
- CO-create BKM’s which have to be followed to meet Corporate Standards.
- Stakeholder management to find good practices in other sectors and outside ASML for learning.
- Serve as a single point of contact for the site.
- Lead / deliver input for safety kaizens and involve engineers and technicians/operators to formulate solutions.
- Serve as initial/key contact and local facilitator for external customer audits.
- Coordinate the safety in procedure wow.
- Follow-up Safety AIR issues.
Management System - Drive improvement of Safety in key safety performance indicators
- Maintain KPI Dashboards.
- Drive data-driven improvement.
- Drive robust safety improvement via meetings in which root cause investigations are shared.
- Capture improvements & best-known methods and drive deployment of learning in the organization.
- Monitor EHS KPI data (EHS mgrs. committee).
Competence Building & Coaching
- As EHS Manager you will support the site leadership team and responsible for building & maturing the competence in the team.
- You will coach & mentor a small number of EHS specialists in the team (with formal line responsibilities) to improve quality & consistency in our approach, making the San Diego site a center of excellence for EHS improvements within ASML.
Education and experience
Bachelor’s or Master's degree in technical or environmental studies, combined with further specialization in an EHS related field.
We are looking for an experienced EHS Manager who:
- Has over 10 year relevant experience with EHS Management in a large multi-national environment, preferably within a low-volume, high-tech environment.
- Experience managing teams (with direct line reports).
- Experience with California OSHA requirements and experience with ISO14001, ISO45001 EHS management systems.
- Has experience in a complex and technical discrete industry environment.
- Has proven coaching experience.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Program & Project Management skills & demonstrated successful Program Management experience.
- You can naturally convince, inspire and motivate people.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships on different levels in the organization.
- Able to cooperate and communicate on all levels in an organization.
- Sensitive to political environments and multiple stakeholder agenda’s.
- Improvement and proactive mindset.
- Driven, enthusiastic and persistent character in combination with a healthy natural curiosity.
- Leadership, coaching & mentoring skills.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus including working while fully gowned in a clean room environment.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The employee may be required to travel based on business needs.
- Ability to work onsite in first, second or third shift, as needed.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Extended periods of time in a clean room environment should be expected. Requires gowning in Class 10K gowning protocol.
- May need to work in labs with equipment that emit high-pitched noise.
- May spend extended periods of time at a computer workstation.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.