You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Sr. Software Engineer
Research & development
Computer science & software engineering
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Computer science & software engineering
Introduction to the job
We are looking for software engineers who have a passion for designing and coding software for a distributed control system.Join ASML and you will be joining a team that operates in a fast-paced, uniquely innovative and challenging environment to create new-to-industry solutions with rapid productization to support an aggressive commercialization plan for the EUV technology within ASML. Please see recent report from CNBC: Inside ASML, the single provider every advanced chipmaker relies on (cnbc.com)
You will work with software architects and control system engineers as you develop software in response to the software and controls requirement and design documents. You will get to participate in designing for excellence, keeping in mind all the –cities and –abilities like reusability, modularity, simplicity, maintainability, …You will get to use UML to capture your design, you will also get to lead projects of small to medium size where you can analyze complex issues, determine the best test methodologies, and contribute in all aspects of the software development, build, test and release cycle.
Your universe will not just be the software team in San Diego, or even the controls team in San Diego, it will be your colleagues in all the functional teams in San Diego and Veldhoven, and as we try to meet our resource and budget challenges you will also work with our partners near-site, off-site as well as offshore.
And you may ask, what does the control system software do?Well, the control loops involve data exchange at speeds up to 100 kHz while data collection for diagnostics purposes is done at up to 1Khz rate. There is interaction between control loops running on quad core boards and platform software that runs on IBM bladecenter. Data is stored on board in postgres databases and is shipped via the fab network to data servers in San Diego. And our graphical user interface developed using Qt serves a complex set of users - operators, engineers, scientists and customers. And we don't forget safety, the control system has a Siemens PLC to ensure both human safety is ensured and machine damage is prevented.
Come and join our journey and you will be challenged and rewarded as you work alongside a group of talented, passionate and fun-loving engineers. You can tell your friends –I work on semiconductor lithography machines that allow the printing of finer features for the next generation of chips that power the innovations in the worldtoday.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
- Understand the software response to system and controls requirements, develop software based on software requirements and design, create Test Specification Documents, and deliver software solutions of highest quality.
- Work in hard and soft real time domain with complex hardware interfaces and various communication protocols and platforms.
- Ability to develop code for a distributed control system. The coding will require programming in different languages (C++, Python) on Linux OS environments.
- Conform to the approved Software Development Process and the Program Development Process, and be an active champion of process improvement.
- Utilize knowledge to design software for large complex multi-processor systems.
- Articulate (verbal and written) the design decisions and implementations made to management at ASML, its development partners and the customer.
- Participates in the screening and selection of software development team members and in the mentoring of new software development team members.
Education and experience
- Requires Minimum of BS in Computer Science, or other related eng or science fields. MS or Ph.D in relevant field is a plus.
- Minimum of 6 years in technical development role.
- Experience in leadership or designing software for a complex multi-processor distributed control system is a plus.
- Proven ability to guide a team in coding efforts for a distributed control system. The coding will require programming in different languages (C++, Python) on Linux.
- Delivered 3+ mid to large scale software projects with demonstrable quality.
- Hands on experience with refactoring for performance and scalability – complex multi-processor distributed control system is a plus.
- Curious and current on emerging software methodologies.
- Strong C++ knowledge, Object Oriented Design principles and embedded development.
- Ability to handle aggressive deadlines with agility and results driven approach.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
- Ability to quickly develop and understand complex control systems including embedded real-time, application layers, CORBA interface and its associated hardware environment.
- Ability to independently determine technical solutions including test documentation.
- Technical expert of data management, TCP/IP and other similar communication protocols.
- Applies advanced knowledge of design methodologies.
- Demonstrates sophisticated knowledge in utilizing design engineering tools, systems analysis and design, and database management.
- Project leadership skills.
- Ability to follow a Software Development Process that includes elements of planning, estimation, gathering and analyzing requirements, developing concepts and designs, implementation, developing and executing test plans’ and engaging in work product reviews.
- Ability to interact effectively with other team members as well as individuals in other disciplines and organizations.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Some travel required.
Diversity & InclusionASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to be on call and work hours as required to solve problems that arise with internal and external customers.External customers could be outside the US.
- The environment requires working with a firing laser (which is noisy) and/or working in a manufacturing clean room environment from time to time.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.