You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Engineering Project Manager
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Mechanical engineering, Electrical engineering, Physics
Introduction to the job
ASML US, including its affiliates and subsidiaries, bring together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
The EUV source team in San Diego operates in a fast-paced, uniquely innovative and challenging environment to create new-to-industry solutions with rapid productization to support an aggressive commercialization plan for the EUV technology within ASML. The Plasma, Optics and Metrology Department is responsible for the development and engineering of the metrology, automation, control and optimization for the EUV light source system.The complexity of the EUV source puts exciting and challenging demands on the multi-disciplinary engineers who will be engaged in all phases of the development and integration involving sophisticated precision sensor hardware, complex algorithms, real-time embedded software, high speed electronics and computers (including FPGA), - all working under extremely challenging dynamic conditions to produce stable plasma and EUV light.
The Project Manager will be responsible for coordinating the activities of engineers from a variety of disciplines engaged in designing hardware, software, firmware and/or algorithms as part of the development of the next generation EUV Source for new lithography products. The successful candidate will lead the work of a multidisciplinary team mastering complex engineering activities of significant technical depth related to multiple phases of the product development, including design, implementation, integration, validation, industrialization, and release to customers. It also involves problem solving andtroubleshooting, especially when introducing new features to ASML factory and customer. The candidate shall ensure that all project results are successfully delivered on time and on budget. In addition, to be effective in the role candidates must possess interpersonal skills to cross functional boundaries and to build constructive and effective relationships across the organization, including internationally.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage multiple concurrent projects within the Plasma, Optics and Metrology program cluster.
- Collaborates with the functional manager and project architect to develop project roadmaps, improvement waterfalls, schedules, progress dashboards and risk assessments.
- Work with engineers that analyze system performance against requirements, and makes sure results are proven and documented.
- Coordinate the development of basic design parameters and architecture, and will carry a design from the conceptual stage through implementation, test and deployment.
- Works closely with cross-functional groups (engineers and scientists, worldwide customer support personnel, manufacturing personnel, upper management, marketing, logistics, vendors and external customers).Crosses functional boundaries and builds constructive and effective relationships throughout the whole organization.
- Assure Specifications and Designs are written, reviewed and delivered to proper teams in a timely manner. This includes operational procedures, and training materials.
- Analyzes and communicates customer needs and reconciles these with design team, deliverables and management as appropriate.
- Oversees transition of new designs to Software, Optics, Electronics and Mechanical Development, including assessment of technical risk and feedback on qualification testing plan.
- Delivers progress reports and presentations to upper management and internal / external customers as a primary project spokesperson.
- Often works within loosely defined change parameters to accommodate needs of customer and adjacent organizations.
- Interacts with all partner teams and other project managers as primary spokesperson on relevant project/program issues.
- Identifies required changes as flexibility is required. Manages and Performs all project “change management” duties as appropriate to meet objectives in a very dynamic environment.
- Assess various scenarios and provide input towards senior management for decision making.
- Drive budget and resource requests for annual financial forecast.
- Manage SAFe Agile Chapter/Teams.
- Mentor junior project management members.
- Performs duties as assigned.
Education and experience
- Requires minimum of BS in EE, MechEng, Comp Sci, Comp Eng, Physics, or other related science discipline. MS, in a relevant field is a plus.
- Minimum of 8 years in technical engineering roles.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in a project leadership or management role.
- Must have practical experience with project planning and successful track record of execution.
- Project Management qualification (eg. PMP) or other formal training is desirable.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Must have practical experience with project planning and successful track record of execution.
- Ability to translate engineering tasking into manageable project data sets, analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of upstream and downstream relationships.
- Ability to use all required office and engineering tools to include MS Project or similar, document control system, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
- Must have led a team of engineering staff greater than 10 and successfully delivered a number of projects with an excellent track record.
- Must have full understanding and ability - to drive a product design from concept, through engineering development, integration, formal test, and into production.
- Ability to work effectively across functional boundaries to build relationships with all areas in the company, to understand and reconcile higher level company and customer needs.
- Experience with SAFe Agile is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Requires working with a firing laser (which is noisy) occasionally.
- Requires working in a manufacturing clean room environment occasionally.
- Requires working withlasers in noisy environments (requiring ear protection) and potential radiation hazards (requiring eye and skin protection).
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.