You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Technical Graduate Program - Physics & Applied Mathematics
Research & development
In a nutshell
Research & development
Physics, Optical engineering, Mathematics
Introduction to the job
Are you looking for your first job after your graduation? This is a unique opportunity to launch your career in an inspiring and collaborating high-tech environment! By applying to this program you are going to be considered for multiple vacancies where your Master or PhD background in physics or applied mathematics could be a perfect fit.
By joining our Technical Graduate Program – Physics & applied mathematics, you will start in a full time paid job and you will receive the ideal combination of ‘doing’ and ‘learning’ that will build the fundamentals needed for a (technical) career at ASML.
ASML is leading in the worldwide development, production and sales of high-end lithography systems for the semiconductor industry. We make machines that make chips. We build some of the most amazing machines that you will ever see, and the software to run them. Never satisfied, we measure our performance in units that begin with pico or nano. Through the development of smaller, faster and still more affordable chips, the world’s technology has steadily evolved.
Physics is at the heart of everything we do at ASML. To make sure our customer can keep printing smaller and smaller features on chips using our machines. To accomplish this we need physicists and mathematicians who can help us create next-generation products.
Role and responsibilities
We have many different positions available. How do we decide which function suits you the best? We will take into account your skills and ambitions and we will decide after the selection day which position matches the best with your indicated preference. To give you an impression of the open positions a number of positions have been mentioned below. From hard technical positions to more stakeholder related jobs.
Metrology Design Engineer:
Metrology orchestrates the behavior of powerful mechatronic modules, so that together they achieve an extraordinary combination of speed and accuracy. You will perform different tasks such as:
- Participate in the definition of system level specification of different functions, like functionality, algorithms, performance and reliability. (E.g. Coming up with a measurement scheme to capture an effect or coming up with an algorithm to describe a physical effect or a correction for an unwanted effect).
- Troubleshoot on issues within our factory or at customer sites. Investigate failure modes of the system and figure out the containment that will buy time to find the root cause of a problem.
- Perform feasibility studies into required improvements, by means of experiments, simulation and analysis of existing (customer) data.
- Enable the realization of new functionality by interacting with specialist software designers in the project team. Integrate and test the function against the specification.
Physics Design Engineer – Performance Specialist within Performance & Integration cluster:
Our customers make computer chips. To do so successfully our scanners need to match the image our customers intend to reproduce on their wafers as closely as possible. The closer the image created by the scanner resembles the intended image, the better the scanner imaging performance.ASML builds lithography systems that can place multiple layers on a chip with very high precision. The so-called overlay accuracy demand for this layer-to-layer positioning is determined by the design of the chip. As a Performance Specialist you will be a key player in making the performance of our scanners meet our customer’s demands.
- You will be responsible for predicting imaging, overlay, focus and productivityperformance of our future systems and assess, trouble-shoot and optimize performance of real scanners who have just come into existence.
- You will contribute to the development of ASML products by testing, analyzing, qualifying and reporting performance and inventing and specifying improvements within the boundary of the system specifications, costs and planning considerations.
- Manage different stakeholders within D&E and Operations, critically review and challenge received content, and provide tailored sequences that enables an effective and efficient execution of the work in the factory and in the field.
- Pro-actively define opportunities to improve cycle time and availability, reduce risks and costs.
Physics design engineer within Optical Column:
The optical column is the heart of the EUV system, a technological miracle. As a physics design engineer you will be responsible (among other things) for the design test and integration of the dose control function. The Dose Control comprises both HW (Energy Sensor/Spot Slit sensor) & SW (e.g., scanner and to the source, measurement and calibration of Dose and performance qualification. Within Dose Control competence, you will use your creativity to come up with new designs to improve the current and future dose control function. You will also analyze and interpret data and present conclusions and recommendations how to improve on and off-line tooling for data analysis with MATLAB.
Education and experience
- You have a MSc or PhD in the field of Physics, Applied Mathematics or related
- You completed your education less than 12 months ago or you will graduate within February 2023.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- You are a team player, you work for the success of your team and ASML
- You are an excellent communicator
- You are goal-oriented and self-initiating
- You are hands-on, down-to-earth and pragmatic
- You are eager to learn
- You speak and write fluently in English
- For some positions you preferably have experience with modeling and data analysis (e.g. MATLAB or Python)
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
We offer you
A contract of one year at ASML, with the possibility of an indefinite contract after the first year
We offer a highly competitive compensation and benefits package which includes:
- A competitive salary
- 40 days paid leave: 27 vacation days and 13 ADV days (reduction of working hours)
- 13th month payment
- 8% holiday allowance
- Pension plan
- Commuting allowance
Training sessions to develop yourself professionally
A safe environment to experiment with what you learn
A close network of other fresh grads and colleagues
The opportunity to work alongside some of the world’s smartest engineers
What is the Technical Graduate Program?
It is a one-year program to close the gap from university life to business life, to get you up-to-speed within our complex organization and to build a network with other early career employees. You will be hired in a full time paid job in the best matching function with your background. Please note that this program does not offer job rotation. You will receive the ideal combination of ‘doing’ and ‘learning’ that will build the fundamentals needed for a (technical) career at ASML. As part of the program you will build your soft skills via trainings, learn how you have to deal with challenges and you will create new friends and have fun with them.
You have to apply with your resume and motivation letter before Sunday October 2, 2022 at 23:59h. We will inform you if your application has been selected for the first round of the selection process within one week from the application deadline.
- Pre-recorded video interview
This round consists of an online pre-recorded interview. The candidates matching our selection criteria will be invited to answer to few pre-set questions via HireVue.
- Selection day
If you pass the first round, you will be invited to our selection day. The selection day will be fully virtual and will take place on Thursday November 3, 2022.
During this day, your competencies will be assessed via different activities (such as interviews or a collaboration game).
- Job offer
You will be informed within a few working days after the selection day if you will receive a job offer for which team. The starting date is flexible, but preferably between January and March 2023.
Please note that this position requires access to U.S. controlled technology, as defined in the United States Export Administration Regulations. Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such U.S. controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access U.S. controlled technology.
If you have any questions, send an email to [email protected]
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.