You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Mechanical Design Engineer - Co-Op
Research & development
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Research & development
No experience (Student)
Mechanical engineering, Mechatronics
Introduction to the job
ASML US, including its affiliates and subsidiaries, bring together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
Founded in 1984, ASML is the world’s leading provider of lithography systems for the semiconductor industry, manufacturing complex machines that are critical to the production of integrated circuits or microchips. The mission of the Mechanical Development department is to design and develop the complex mechanics for these machines, which are some of the highest precision products ever produced in the world. This position is based on-site in Wilton, CT, which has both R&D and manufacturing operations. We design and produce multiple sub-system modules that are shipped to our headquarters in Veldhoven, The Netherlands where they are integrated into the full lithography machine.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). As a condition of employment, qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
As a Co-Op student in Mechanical Design Engineering, you will participate in developing portions of the lithography system and/or associated tooling. You will work on sub-systems involving robotics, mechatronics, precision mechanics, and/or opto-mechanics. Precision machine design at ASML starts with understanding the functional requirements and deriving specifications. You will collaborate with design engineers and system architects in a multidiscipline project team to develop concepts, perform engineering analysis, build and test prototypes, generate detailed CAD designs, create engineering drawings, partner with suppliers, and support system integration and testing.Co-Ops typically work at ASML for a semester and a summer, 8 months total.
Education and experience
- Student working towards a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering with minimum 2 years completed.
- The hired candidate must have ability to communicate effectively in the English language both written and oral.
- We are seeking an individual with a strong background in mechanical design and engineering. A background in mechanical design of mechatronics, precision design, or complex optical systems is desirable, as well as good complex mechanical system intuition.
- Mechanical design exposure to kinematics, dynamics, material properties and behavior, and structural analysis.
- Experience with 3D solid modelling for design conceptualization and realization.
- Basic experience with mechanical analytical techniques, including “first principle” engineering equations and Finite Element Analysis such as stress, strain, deformation, modal response, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to derive conclusions from analysis and make practical recommendations.
- Strong technical writing, communication and presentations skills.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
- This position is located on-site in Wilton, CT. It requires onsite presence to attend in-person work-related events, trainings and meetings and to further ensure teamwork, collaboration and innovation.
- A flexible workplace arrangement may be available to employees working in roles conducive to remote work (up to two days a week).
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability