You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Mechanical Design Engineer - Co-Op
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
No experience (Student)
Introduction to the job
ASML US, including its affiliates and subsidiaries, bring together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). As a condition of employment, qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
As a Co-Op student in Mechanical Design Engineering, you will participate in developing portions of the lithography system and/or associated tooling. You will work on sub-systems involving robotics, mechatronics, precision mechanics, and/or opto-mechanics. Precision machine design at ASML starts with understanding the functional requirements and deriving specifications. You will collaborate with design engineers and system architects in a multidiscipline project team to develop concepts, perform engineering analysis, build and test prototypes, generate detailed CAD designs, create engineering drawings, partner with suppliers, and support system integration and testing.Co-Ops typically work at ASML for a semester and a summer, 8 months total.
This position is located on-site in Wilton, CT. It requires onsite presence to attend in-person work-related events, trainings and meetings and to further ensure teamwork, collaboration and innovation.
Education and experience
Student working towards a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering with minimum 2 years education completed.
The hired candidate must have ability to communicate effectively in the English language both written and verbal.
We are seeking an individual with a strong background in mechanical design and engineering. A background in mechanical design of mechatronics, precision design, or complex optical systems is desirable, as well as good complex mechanical system intuition.
Preferred skills for this job include:
- Mechanical design exposure to kinematics, dynamics, material properties and behavior, and structural analysis.
- Experience with 3D solid modelling for design conceptualization and realization.
- Basic experience with mechanical analytical techniques, including “first principle” engineering equations and Finite Element Analysis such as stress, strain, deformation, modal response, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to derive conclusions from analysis and make practical recommendations.
- Strong technical writing, communication and presentations skills.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Capability to interface with multidisciplinary groups including senior leadership.
- High energy self-motivated team player with strong desire to learn.
- Possess strong leadership and ownership characteristics with commitment to achieve results on time.
- Potential to develop into a technical leader in the organization.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers and customer.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
This position is located on-site in Wilton, CT.It requires onsite presence to attend in-person work-related events, trainings and meetings and to further ensure teamwork, collaboration and innovation.
A flexible workplace arrangement may be available to employees working in roles conducive to remote work (up to two days a week).
Role within Office
Essential Job Functions
The essential job functions for this position include, but are not limited to:
Work in a fast-paced office environment, including working in a standing or seated position for long periods sometimes exceeding 8 hours per day, 5 days per week.
Commute to ASML’s facility and report to work on a regular and timely basis and complete the scheduled workday on a consistent basis.
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Perform office tasks using simple hand grasping, fine hand manipulation and reach associated with assigned tasks such as paperwork, computer keyboarding (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint), filing, calculating, and use of telephone or other handheld electronic devices, continuously sometimes exceeding 8 hours per day, five days per week.
- Have a sufficient ability to communicate, through sight, hearing, and/or otherwise, to perform assigned tasks and maintain proper job safety conditions.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel (specify domestic and/or international) dependent on business needs up to ~10%.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Perform other functions that may be assigned.
Additional Responsibilities (as needed in the cleanroom and/or labs):
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be willing to work in a clean room environment, wearing coveralls, hoods, booties, safety glasses and gloves. Working under ISO 9000/14000 standards.
- The environment in the cleanroom is moderate in temperature with moderate to high noise level.
- Safely working around lasers; on ladders; on platforms; around chemicals; near strong magnetic fields; around high voltage and currents.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability