You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Sr. Electrical Engineer
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Jose - CA, US
Research & development
Introduction to the job
ASML is a leading supplier of advanced lithography and e-beam wafer inspection and pattern verification systems used for advanced semiconductor devices. The application part of the company has multiple years of e-beam application experience and leadership in semiconductor industry, focused on high resolution and voltage contrast SEM imaging. The application part of ASML will boost ASML’s holistic lithographic portfolio of (i) lithography exposure systems, (ii) computational lithography and (iii) metrology. Between these three cornerstones ASML offers application products for process window enhancement, control and detection. As part of our team, you will have the opportunity to go beyond yourself in developing more advanced techniques and pushing the boundaries of technology.
As an analog circuit design engineer at PCB assembly (PCBA) level, you will have the chance to join the R&D team to work on a variety of high performance analog and mixed signal function block designs for next generation e-beam wafer inspection and metrology systems. Your contributions will help to improve the performance of our e-beam wafer inspection and metrology products. Our customers will benefit from the performance improvements of the products so that they can make more advanced chips with improved yield.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
- Work with element, module, or sub-system architect, derive design documents such as Element Performance Specification (EPS), Test Performance Specification (TPS), and Element Design Specification (EDS) for specific analog and mixed signal PCBA, module, or sub-system
- Conduct detailed design of ultra-low noise wideband amplifier with both excellent frequency domain and time domain responses for of e-beam inspection systems. The design may be based on discrete components, off the shelf general purpose ICs, and / or ASICs developed in house
- Design mixed signal circuit which includes but not limited to, analog switch, data converter (ADC and / or DAC) for e-beam inspection systems. The design may be based on discrete components, off the shelf general purpose ICs, and / or ASICs developed in house
- Design low noise voltage source circuit and low noise current circuit for e-beam inspection systems. The design may be based on discrete components, off the shelf general purpose ICs, and / or ASICs developed in house
- Support in house ASIC development, conduct ASIC test setup design and fabrication, support ASIC characterization
- Conduct schematic capture, circuit simulation, PCB layout for all types of circuits mentioned above
- Conduct prototyping and characterization at PCBA , module, or sub-system level, generate test result documents such as Test Analysis Report (TAR).
- Prepare technical documents for module release and manufacture.
- Work with sourcing team and procurement team to select the right outside suppliers for components and fabrication service
- Support sub-system level and system level integration and troubleshooting
Education and experience
- Ph.D. with 2+ years of hands-on experiences, or master with 5+ years hands-on experiences, or bachelor with 8+ years hands-on experiences, in electrical engineering or related majors.
- Bachelor degree required; master degree and PhD preferred.
- Hands-on experiences of schematic capture, schematic level simulation, PCB layout, PCB level simulation, prototyping, with strong ability of troubleshooting and problem solving. Familiar with low noise wideband amplifier (DC coupled wideband amplifier, operation frequency range starting from DC to at least several hundred MHz, NOT RF amplifier in wireless receivers) design. test equipment such as multi-meter, SMU, signal / function generator, oscilloscope, signal / spectral analyzer, and network analyzer. The successful candidate should be a self-motivated team player with initiative, dedication, and strong communication skills. The candidate should also have the following specific skills or experiences.
Minimum qualifications – the hired candidate must possess all of the minimum qualifications to be initially considered for the position including:
- At least 5 years working in the area of ultra-low noise DC coupled wideband amplifier design
- Knowledge of different types of resistors and their properties
- Knowledge of different types of capacitors and their properties
- Knowledge of operational amplifier (OPA) and its applications
- Knowledge of noise in amplifier and amplifier noise reduction
- Knowledge of high performance DC coupled wideband amplifier design. The amplifier should have close to perfect frequency domain and time domain responses. The type of amplifiers may include but not be limited to: voltage amplifier, current amplifier, transimpedance amplifier (TIA), and transconductance amplifier (TCA), etc.
- Ultra-low noise wideband fixed gain amplifier circuit (PCBA level) design and building experiences
- Ultra-low noise wideband variable gain amplifier circuit (PCBA level) design and building experiences
- Mixed signal circuit (PCBA level) design and building experiences, the circuit includes but is not limited to: high speed data conversion circuit (ADC and DAC, sample rate goes beyond 1Gs/s, bit resolution: 8 ~ 24 bits and beyond), ultra-low noise wideband analog switch / switch matrix circuit (operation frequency range starting from DC to at least several hundred MHz)
- High speed voltage comparator application experiences
- Knowledge of BJT, JFET and MOSFET for both switch mode and linear operations
Additional skills and experiences preferred
- Knowledge and experiences of signal integrity and power integrity is a plus
- Knowledge and experiences of board level and module level shielding and grounding is a plus
- Knowledge and experiences of IC design is a plus
- Knowledge of device physics of semiconductor devices such as BJT, JFET, MOSFET, PIN and APD is a plus
- Knowledge and experiences of high density assembling and packaging e.g., thick film circuit is plus
- Knowledge and experiences of device packaging and different package materials is a plus
- Knowledge and experiences of PCBA / module level thermal management is a plus
- Knowledge and experiences of circuit design for applications in high vacuum environment is a plus
- Knowledge of different inductors and transformers, different winding methods, different material for the magnetic core, and the properties of all these is a plus
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
- Must follow the rule / policy of the work location.
- The position does require working in cleanroom (up to 20% of overall work time) for system level test and debug to verify the concept and / or performance of the designs, or to provide support to sub-system and system level integration.
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- May require travel (domestic and/or international up to : 5% / 10% of overall work time) dependent on business needs.
- Capable of operating a variety of test equipment which include but not limited to: oscilloscope, signal generator, signal / spectrum analyzer, vector network analyzer, power supply, source measure unit, multimeter, etc.
- Ability to do PCBA debug and simple rework.
- Ability to use tools e.g., screwdriver, wrench, tweezer, pliers, etc. to do simple mechanical assembling and disassembling for test setup.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- For certain tasks, the employer may need to wear personal protective equipment e.g., goggle, face mask, gloves, etc. for a continuous time period of 60 minutes.
- For certain tasks, the employer may need to work in an enclosed space e.g., shielding enclosure for a continuous time period of 60 minutes.
- The employee may need to handle bare die / wafer on probe station or under microscope.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature with moderate to high noise level.
- Must be willing to work a compressed work week schedule – twelve-hour long shift and rotating from three to four days a week if work on customer site.
- This position is located on-site in San Jose, CA . It requires onsite presence to attend in-person work-related events, trainings, and meetings, and to further ensure teamwork, collaboration and innovation. A flexible workplace arrangement may be available to employees working in roles conducive to remote work (up to two days a week).
The California base annual salary/hourly range for this role is currently $107,625.00-$179,375.00. Pay scales are determined by role, level, location and alignment with market data. Individual pay is determined through interviews and an assessment of several factors that that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to, job-related skills, relevant education and experience, certifications, abilities of the candidate and pay relative to other team members. Our recruiters can share more information about our bonus program, benefits and equity during the hiring process.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.