You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
System Engineer Product Safety
Research & development
Other technical job categories
Other job categories
In a nutshell
Research & development
Other technical job categories, Other job categories
Introduction to the job
ASML is an innovation leader in the semiconductor industry. The lithography solutions that we design are complex, high tech machines involving a wide array of technologies and safety domains ranging from radiation and electricity to chemical and mechanical aspects. Within the Product Safety System Engineering team we ensure that ASML is developing products that are safe to use & comply to regulations and customer requirements. To achieve that goal, we define design requirements enabling designers in developing safe and compliant products. Since our business is growing, our products are getting more complex and safety regulations are getting more stringent, we are looking for an experienced safety engineer to help us further grow our safety organization.
The product safety system engineer has a key role to ensure that the proper requirements are embedded in the newest designs. The Product Safety System Engineer works in close cooperation with hardware development projects for various product lines, is the sparring partner of choice on safety and compliance for system engineers, senior designers and project leads early in the design process. Besides that the Product Safety System Engineer plays a coordinating role during the verification phase to ensure that human safety and compliance risks are mitigated.
Furthermore the product safety engineer brings specific expertise in one or multiple of the hazard areas, supporting the risk area competence leads and providing 2nd line support to designers. The Product Safety System Engineer also liaises with the Product Safety regulatory & customer compliance office, making sure the safety requirements are meeting the most stringent product safety standards and customer requirements.
Role and responsibilities
As product safety system engineer you are expected to:
- Be part of the system engineering team for the total system design of which safety is an important part
- Be the sparring partner of senior designers in the design phase (requirements definition and design choices) as well as in the validation phase (integration)
- Be capable to oversee and connect with a complex project landscape
- Coordinate the delivery of product compliance certification (CE, FDA approval, SEMI S2 compliance, Safety manuals)
- Facilitate escalation process in case of non-compliance situations
- Communicate relevant product safety information to all levels in the organization including the program management
- Be a specialist on product safety and compliance and expert in one or more specific hazard areas, keeping knowledge on international standards up to date
- Contribute to the safety policy document for a specific hazard area: translation of international standards in specific ASML safety policies
- Act as 2nd line support for the safety and compliance competence organization; consultancy role towards internal safety specialists of the competence groups
- Network with peers in- and outside ASML (other industries) on safety and implementation issues
- Analyze product safety related issues, define containment actions and/or solutions within legal framework
- Manage information request both from internal customers as well as external organizations (e.g. customer requirements): e.g. share compliance reports and administrate the communication.
Education and experience
- MSc degree in technical studies and EHS studies or willing to pursue further education in safety
- Highly regarded professional expert on product safety and compliance, who conveys theories and practices of the professional field to experts and non-experts
- >10 years relevant working experience
- Internally & externally recognized authority on safety knowledge
- Knowledge of safety regulations (lasers, interlocks, chemicals, pressure, hoisting/lifting/transport, human safety/accessibility, electrical compliance, CE, ergonomics, EMC, etc)
- Experience in multidisciplinary development projects
- Inspection & auditing techniques
- Extensive knowledge of risk assessment techniques
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- System overview: is able to create high level overview and to dive in the details of safety designs
- Accurate, systematic, analytical and pragmatic
- Team player with excellent social, coordination, influencing and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Leadership, able to interface, motivate and convince without using formal authority
- Professional communicator, able to explain / present complex technical matters to people with different skills and background on different levels within the organization
- Capability to become recognized as machine safety authority within ASML
- Result oriented; get aspects of safety and compliance adequately done while keeping track of development progress
- Ability to work independent/ self-propelling
- Remain persistent until the goal has been reached.
- Eager to learn and ability to self-reflect
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.