You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Technical Writing and Research Intern
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
No experience (Student)
Electrical engineering, Mechanical engineering, Physics
Introduction to the job
The Discharge Chamber is one of the core modules for DUV light sources, where the discharge plasma is generated to provide DUV light (193nm or 248nm). The development goals include extending chamber lifetime, improving energy efficiency and stability, reducing cost, etc. Achieving these goals requires extensive collaboration among plasma physics, material science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, flow dynamics, and more. If you have a passion for technology and innovation, please join us to develop this complex and challenging DUV discharge plasma chamber!
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
We have a sizable database of Technical Memos written by Cymer scientists and engineers dating back to the 90s, but it is not well organized or easily searchable. We would like an intern to collect information from these Memos and other sources, organize them by topic, and then read through them and prepare a concise, fully referenced summary to serve as an aid to anyone who wants to get up to speed on a given topic quickly, for instance new hires. In many cases this will also involve consulting with the authors of the Memos to elucidate technical details.Work in a team environment alongside local experienced engineers.
The goal of the internship is for you to learn about working in a corporate setting and a team environment.
Interns will typically be required to document and present their findings as well as making an end of summer presentation to the group about what they achieved during their internship.
Education and experience
- Current enrollment in a Bachelor’s or Master’s program at an accredited University. Junior or Senior level.
- Preferred Major/Field of Study: either a STEM field such as Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Plasma Engineering, Physics, or similar engineering discipline, or a field involving excellent research skills, such as History, Journalism, or Library Science.
- Excellent library research skills; the ability to find, collate, comprehend, and organize information.
- Excellent technical writing skills.
- Familiarity with MS Word required
- Familiarity with SharePoint a plus.
- Good interpersonal skills; the ability to conduct interviews and capture spoken information.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.