You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Technical Graduate Program – Energy, Thermal & Flow – Mechanical Engineering/physics/Chemistry
Research & development
Chemistry & materials science
In a nutshell
Research & development
Mechanical engineering, Physics, Chemistry & materials science
Introduction to the job
Start your career in a dynamic, international environment – one where you will be challenged every day to push the boundaries of technology further than ever before.By joining our program, you will receive the ideal combination of ‘doing’ and ‘learning’ that will build the fundamentals needed for a technical career at ASML.
With our Technical Graduate Program, you get the opportunity to join our machine conditioning department and bring your best ideas to a global collaboration. By applying to this program you are going to be considered for multiple vacancies where your background in mechanical engineering, physics or chemistry and a specialization in Energy, Thermal, Flow (or related) could be a perfect fit.
Role and responsibilities
ASML’s Development and Engineering (D&E) sector is responsible for the specification, design and integration of the ASML machines. In this sector, the department of Machine Conditioning (MC), specifies, designs and does the functional integration of the various (sub-)modules and architectures related to the Flow and Thermal domains. The department consists of discipline- and function-oriented groups where emphasis lies on particular knowledge/skills, architecture or modules in ASML machines.
We have multiple job opportunities for recent Bachelor, Master and PhD graduates with background in mechanical engineering, physics and a specialization in thermal & flow domains. You could land in one of the following positions within our machine conditioning department.
Please note that this program does not offer job rotation, you will be hired in a full time paid job in the best matching function. How do we decide which function suits you the best? We will take into account your skills and ambitions and we will decide after the selection day if we see a match and which position then matches the best with your indicated preference.
We have the following positions available: Flow Architect/Analyst, Design Engineer in flow & thermal domains and Flow & Thermal Modelling and Analysis Team. Do you have a background in mechanical engineering and specialization in precision engineering then we would recommend you the technical graduate program - mechanical engineering which is open till the 9th of October.
1) Flow Architect/Analyst:
In the position of Flow Architect/Analyst, you will focus on the conceptualization, specification and functional integration of flow architectures or subsystems. The work consists of a translation of the overall system design into an functional concept that meets these requirements. The other main part of the work is to bring the system into operation with all the specified functions and a verification tests to prove that implemented functional and hardware design of the subsystems are working as intended during the specification phase. In this role it is important that you take responsibility and take the lead with respect to the rest of the team. You have to be able to translate (high-level) performance requirements into a flow architecture and do you take the lead in getting technical issues solved without missing the details. You will (among other things) perform analyses and calculations to predict the functionality of the flow architecture or subsystem (pressure drop budgeting, flow budgeting, humidification, gas purity). You negotiate, define, document and present the specifications of flow architecture or subsystem. Where necessary you increase group competence by literature research, experimental testing or supervision of external research partners. As a fresh graduate you will first focus on a specific module and you grow to more complex and bigger projects if you are ready for it.
2) Design Engineer in Flow and Thermal domains:
The work consists of a translation of overall system design into a Flow and Thermal design that meets the agreed requirements. Design qualification and proving that the design is working as intended during the specification phase is another important responsibility. The Design Engineer generally reports to the Main Deliverable Owner (MDO) of the project. He or she maintains regular alignment with the owner of the sub-function which his or her deliverables contribute to. Project team sizes vary from a few FTE to more than twenty FTE’s, a substantial part of which may be at a co-developer.
- 3D modeling preparation and drawings using Siemens NX software, and implementation of Engineering Change(s) using Siemens Team Center.
- Translate performance specifications into design specification for modules and sub-modules.
- Creation and validation of new concepts: steer concept design choice, organize and prepare design reviews.
- Give input (design effort) for planning for modules and sub-modules.
- Optimization of the design, with a team of designers.
- Solve issues: propose solution and implementation plan.
- Supplier contact for design and drawing reviews on manufacturability (via Supply Quality Engineer).
- Definition and execution of final tests to verify the specifications.
- Cooperation with module integration into the complex ASML systems.
3) Flow & Thermal Modelling and Analysis Team:
As a Flow Modelling Analyst you will be challenged to solve extremely complex cases in a multidisciplinary project team. You’ll need to be able to translate a research question towards the analyses/simulation strategy. In other words you’ll need to be able to translated system performance impacted by physics like temperature, (milliKelvin), flow dynamics (microns), outgassing, deposition and contamination (ppm) in geometries with wide range of length scales. This all under extremely challenging circumstances where electromagnetic fields, rarefied conditions, plasma and different species recombination take place.
In this role you will:
- Provide knowledge, understanding and description of complex flow and thermal phenomena and their impact on the current design in order to initiate solutions or direction for ASML projects and functions.
- Develop models and apply CFD analysis to investigate transport phenomena in order to evaluate sensitivity of design parameters to machine performance.
- Participate in the preparation of Test Performance Specifications (TPS) to identify critical test, ensure model validation and show where CFD will create added value for the project and to the experiment.
- Troubleshoot and contribute in escalations.
- Frequently interact with D&E projects, Functions, Competences, Customer Support and Research.
Education and experience
- Bachelor, Master or PhD in mechanical engineering, chemistry or physics and a specialization in flow, thermal, energy or fluid (or related).
- You completed your education less than a year ago or you will graduate within a few months from the selection day.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Team player, working for the success of your team and ASML
- Excellent communicator
- Good stakeholder management skills
- Goal-oriented and proactive
- Hands-on, down-to-earth and pragmatic
- Eager to learn
- Fluent in English, both speaking and writing
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
- A contract of one year at ASML, with the possibility of an indefinite contract after the first year
- A highly competitive compensation and benefits package:
- Competitive salary
- 40 days paid leave: 27 vacation days and 13 ADV days (reduction of working hours)
- 13th month payment
- 8% holiday allowance
- Pension plan
- Commuting allowance
- Training sessions to develop yourself professionally
- A safe environment to experiment with what you’ve learned
- A close network of other recent graduates and colleagues
- The opportunity to work alongside some of the world’s smartest engineers
Apply with your resume and motivation letter before Sunday October 23th, 2022, at 23:59 CET.
We will inform you if your resume has been selected for the first round of the selection process within one week from the application deadline.
2) Pre-recorded Video Interview
The first round consists of an online pre-recorded interview. The candidates matching our selection criteria will be invited to answer to few pre-set questions via HireVue.
3) Selection day
If you pass the first round, you will be invited to our selection day. he selection day will be fully virtual. The selection day will take place on November 24th.
During this day, your competencies will be assessed via different activities (such as interviews or a business game). The screening board will decide which candidates will move forward.
3. Job offer
You will be informed within a few working days after the selection day if you will receive a job offer. The starting date is flexible, but preferably no later than 3 months after the selection day.
If you have any questions, send an email to [email protected]
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. §730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.