You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
EUV Source Performance Engineer
Research & development
Other technical job categories
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Other technical job categories
Introduction to the job
ASML brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers – to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States. We are currently recruiting for positions located at our office in San Diego, CA (EUV laser source creation).
As the world’s leading semiconductor lithography machine (the machine that makes computer chips) manufacturer, ASML enables chip manufacturers to make cheaper, faster, chips, thereby enabling all the technology you use today. The machines we make require high speed, magnetically levitated stages with sub-nanometer accuracy, robotic mask delivery systems, mechatronic devices to shape and correct the laser illumination source, and optical modules that can detect sub-nanometer alignment errors and pattern distortions. Temperature controlled to milli-kelvins, particulate free, and operating in complete vacuum, the technical challenges are endless. Solving these requires expertise in servo controls, mechatronics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, embedded software engineering, optics, physics, manufacturing, industrialization, and more. If you like extreme challenges and want to help bring the next generation of technology to the world, then come join ASML.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
The EUV Source team in San Diego operates in a fast-paced, uniquely innovative, and challenging environment to deliver new-to-industry products supporting the commercialization of EUV technology by ASML. The Plasma and Laser Physics engineer will be part of the EUV Source Performance team within ASML San Diego. Due to high complexity of the EUV light source, we, as Source Performance, are a dedicated team with the missionto validate and ensure that EUV sources meet or exceed customer performance requirements and expectations. In order to execute this mission, EUV Source Performance acts as the critical enabler of knowledge acquisition and transfer throughout the products development process, via:
- Substantive participation in the technology development and system definition process for products in definition and early development stage.
- Ensuring quality of the module to sub-system to system-level performance testing and validation for the products in integration phase.
- Driving technology improvements enabling new products field release and refinement of system specifications based upon deep understanding of factory and field performance.
- The creation and delivery of analytic tooling, action plans and procedures to drive maximum solving power of our customer support organizations for sustaining products.
Typical responsibilities for this role include defining and validating product requirements, experimenting for data collection and performing troubleshooting of the system level performance issues, performing data and root-cause analysis, identifying areas of technical improvement required to meet the development roadmap, and supporting the teams at customer sites to ensure the highest performance and availability of EUV sources for the customers. The role requires a willingness to develop a mastery of complex experimentation of significant technical depth. To be successful, the candidate must combine strong technical skills, preferably debris mitigation and/or plasma and laser expertise,problem solving and numerical analysis skills (using MATLAB and Python to collect and process large sets of data) with hands-on lab skills such as operating optical and electrical metrology instruments. In addition, to be effective in the role, candidates must possess interpersonal skills to cross functional boundaries and to build constructive and effective relationships across the organization and promote cross-functional and cross-sector collaboration.
- Develop system-level expertise on the EUV-light source and serve as an expert in system level performance related to laser light generation and amplification, laser-plasma interaction, debris mitigation, and controls systems.
- Apply theoretical models, concepts, methods, and novel experimental techniques to quantitatively interpret performance of EUV source systems across a wide range of issues and multiple technical disciplines.
- Design scientific experiments to test the performance of prototype software and hardware and to validate, maximize, document and communicate the performance of EUV source products; help execute test plans both remotely and in the lab, and provide creative solutions for troubleshooting any problems during the test.
- Collect test data (on-tool and using executable automatic codes) and analyze test data, to assess performance capabilities, validate systems, operations and service, identify potential risks, and make suggestions for system improvement.
- Prepare and/or review system and sub-system functional test plans and create traceability from system functional requirements.
- Use sophisticated computer programs and diagnostic equipment to test and characterize source performance.
- Produce clear, concise technical documentation in defined company formats, present results and align with cross-functional teams.
- Provide feedback to the design engineers on performance, serviceability, and reliability improvements.
- Work closely with and lead cross-functional groups (systems engineering, development engineering, scientists, global customer support personnel, manufacturing personnel, senior management, marketing, external customers) to set clear technical direction.
- Work with global customer support organization in response to escalations from customer sites, by providing technical support; including remote and on-site troubleshooting and data analysis, developing action plans, and performing system recovery actions.
- Travel as required for the purposes of performing troubleshooting and system performance recovery.
- Provide technical training to engineers in the factory and at customer sites.
- Complete service, expense reports, and other administrative responsibilities in accordance with ASML’s procedures and with supervisor’s approval.
- Responsible for safe operation in factory and customer sites.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and experience
- PhD in Material Science, Plasma Physics, Engineering Physics, Applied Physics, or other related fields is preferred, MS will also be considered with relevant research and industry experience.
- Knowledge and experiences in optics, laser-induced plasma, optical metrology, and/or controls of such devices preferred.
- Experiences in semiconductor equipment development a plus.
- Understanding of the concept of large complex system integration and practices.
- Understanding of the concepts of debris mitigation in a vacuum environment including material science, computational fluid dynamics, and thermal dynamics.
- Understanding of the concepts of optics and lasers, plasma generation, and control systems.
- Excellent analytical skills and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent inter-personal and customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in use of data analysis tools such as Matlab and/or Python.
- Ability to setup and use the test and analytical equipment commonly used for the optics, laser and plasma research.
- Ability to translate the design and test requirements into comprehensive test plan documents and procedures.
- Ability to reduce large amounts of data, create a concise summary, and effectively report results through written and/or graphical formats.
- Ability to translate the knowledge and hand-on experiences into technical instructions and procedures.
- Ability to define and execute tasks based on project descriptions with minimum or no supervision.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Will require travel dependent on business needs; travel to overseas and domestic customer sites for ~ 30 % of time may be required.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- May be required to climb or balance.
- Work schedule may vary and include evenings and weekends as well as long hours based on business needs.
- May be assigned an “on call” type work schedule and may be required to respond to customers with little or no advance notice.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.