You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Structural / Thermal Analyst Engineer
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Introduction to the job
ASML is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of lithography systems that help enable Moore’s Law and the creation of increasingly powerful and capable electronic devices. Our San Diego-based light source division, Cymer, is renowned for developing both deep ultraviolet (DUV) lithography light sources and next generation extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light sources.We are a multinational company with over 70 locations in 16 countries, headquartered in Veldhoven, the Netherlands.
ASML US, LP brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Wilton, CT, Chandler, AZ, San Jose, CA and San Diego, CA (EUV laser source creation).
As the world’s leading semiconductor lithography machine (the machine that makes computer chips) manufacturer, ASML enables chip manufacturers to make cheaper, faster, chips, thereby enabling all the technology you use today. The machines we make require high speed, magnetically levitated stages with sub-nanometer accuracy, robotic mask delivery systems, mechatronic devices to shape and correct the laser illumination source, and optical modules that can detect sub-nanometer alignment errors and pattern distortions. Temperature controlled to milli-kelvins, particulate free, and operating in complete vacuum, the technical challenges are endless. Solving these requires expertise in servo controls, mechatronics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, embedded software engineering, optics, physics, manufacturing, industrialization, and more. If you like extreme challenges and want to help bring the next generation of technology to the world, then come join ASML.
If you have a passion for technology and innovation you’ll want to check us out. Be a part of ASML. Be a part of progress.
One Company, One Goal, Limitless Innovation. It's our people that make the difference.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
To use Numerical Methods and techniques to evaluate various designs and choose and recommend the best possible solution for the betterment of ASML products and goals.
ASML is seeking a highly talented Structural /Thermal Analyst Engineer to join our Analysis team in San Diego. The candidate will perform a variety of engineering tasks including providing inputs in designing & using Finite Element Analysis (FEA) tools to analyze subassemblies and modules from a concept phase to a final design. Work with cross-functional teams to support the products and passionate solving complex engineering problems.
- Perform geometry preparation and meshing for thermal and structural analysis.
- Develop modeling methodologies for complex problems that involve multi-physics, heat transfer, stress/strain, fatigue and dynamics/vibration.
- Provides a broad mechanical engineering design background and performs mechanical engineering analysis using commercial finite element analysis tools including structural, dynamic including modal, vibrations, & thermal analysis.
- Interpret simulation results and provide guidance to design.
- Translate function specifications into required physics-based model capabilities.
- Contribute, participate and define conceptual design during specification phases and ensure design qualifies & work as intended in validation phases.
- Identify experiments required for model validation.
- Work independently and manage projects as needed.
- Proactively identifies potential issues and brings potential solutions to team.
- Assumes engineering responsibility for module or subsystem design from concept design through manufacturing transfer and ramp.
Education and experience
- Must have advanced degree
- Requires a PhD Degree in Mechanical Engineering specializing in Finite element. May consider a masters in Mechanical Engineering specializing in Finite element analysis and a minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience.
- In depth knowledge of solid mechanics & finite element fundamental.
- Expertise in Structural, dynamic & thermal analysis using Ansys Workbench.
- Experience using ANSYS APDL.
- Knowledge of Abaqus including writing ad hoc subroutines.
- Programming experience with MATLAB and Python.
- Experience in Multiphysics analysis.
- Experience in working with Siemens NX desired.
- Experience with phased new product development processes from concept through full production release.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats is required.
- Demonstrated creativity in solving complex design problems.
- Strong time management skills in managing multiple projects/activities in parallel.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Responsibilities include periodic travel to regional and overseas sites for product technical support and special support projects.
- Work may include onsite technical support involving heavy lifting of equipment & modules.
- Position will require technical work activity in a clean-room production environment and/or laboratory setting.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Occasionally may be exposed to loud noise bursts and may be exposed to toxic gases (fluorine).
- Must be able to work in small, confined spaces.
We offer competitive salaries and benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401(K), and FSAs.
We are committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences of our workforce to create opportunities for our people and the business. EOE
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.