You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
System Dynamics & Controls Scientist - EUV Stability
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Electrical engineering, Physics, Mechanical engineering
Introduction to the job
ASML US, LP brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Wilton, CT, Chandler, AZ, San Jose, CA and San Diego, CA.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
We have a unique and exciting opportunity to join a dynamic and innovative Technology Development team, focused on conceiving and demonstrating the technologies required for next generations of high-power extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light sources. The EUV source technology development team is responsible for identifying system-level operating points for stable EUV production generated from laser produced plasmas and helps to chart the path toincrease EUV power to meet the future needs of the Lithography industry.
Based on a laser produced plasma (LPP) interaction with a stream of stable Tin droplets running at a rate of tens of thousands of times per second, our light source relies on a wide range of unique and challenging technologies including laser light amplification, high-power optic systems, plasma generation, as well as process variable sensing, actuation, metrologies and control.
You are invited to bring your passion, knowledge and expertise in areas of applied physics, plasmas, metrology, optics, systems, dynamics, control theory, lasers, and experiment design to push the boundaries of these technologies forward and into the future.The EUV Source Technology Research team is fully based in San Diego, where the team identifies novel solutions that enable and define the next generation EUV source architecture. Development activities span the full range from concept definition, design, prototyping, and full scale performance testing on a complete EUV source systems. Operating a complete EUV source, under the same conditions as it would be used a lithography application, allows for system-level performance demonstrations and validation of new technologies where results can then be more easily transferred to the next product.
One performance characteristic that is important to this role is dose, which is a critical aspect of an EUV light source for Lithography applications. We strive towards the ideal of delivering perfect dose, which requires an EUV light source to deliver the same EUV pulse energy on every pulse at multi-kilohertz repetition rates for many hours on end. This is very challenging in practice because many disturbances perturb the EUV pulse energy. Examples of these disturbances include vibrations, swirling gas flows, thermal optical laser pointing fast and slow drifts and many forms of droplet disturbances, all of which perturb the stability of the plasma generation process.
These effects have different time-constants and different physical origins. It can be sometimes very challenging to pin-point and even more challenging to identify a solution path. A successful candidate will be able to navigate this complex environment by interpreting various signals from metrologies, identifying improvements needs to controllers, lasers, actuators to make improvements to EUV stability and dose. The successful candidate will have a passion for innovation and be driven by curiosity, be highly analytical and excited to solve these problems, make new discoveries and communicate their work clearly to design teams. A background in plasma physics, EUV metrology and spectroscopy, laser-matter interaction, systems, dynamics, control theory, and embedded technology, will help a candidate to leave their mark on the next generation of EUV product and the future of technology.
Responsibilities and Responsibilities:
- Designs EUV performance/ plasma controls experiments at the system/sub-system level.
- Performs the tests, analyzes test results and extracts actionable knowledge from the data.
- Familiar with previous results and able to contextualize new experimental outcomes.
- Breaks down complex problems, identifies knowledge gaps and develops technical strategies and test plans.
- Work independently and in teams to deliver on a stated objective, whether it be the pursuit of new knowledge, the demonstration of a new capability, or the characterization of existing performance.
- Leads and/or participates in preliminary and critical design reviews.
- Delivers technical and progress reports and presentations to upper management and internal / external customers.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Education and experience
- Requires a MS or PhD in either Electrical or Mechanical Engineering with focus on Robotics or Dynamical Systems or Controls or Systems or Physics or other related science disciplines.
- Minimum of 4 years in technical engineering roles.
- Hands-on experience with complex system design and build, characterization, and troubleshooting.
- Ability to understand software written in C++ or other object-oriented programming language is highly desired.
- Must be proficient with performing data analysis using Python, Matlab, or other similar tools.
- Skills for creating application software or writing automated test scripts (e.g.: using Python or Matlab) are highly desired.
- Strong understanding and experience on signal processing theory and techniques is highly desired.
- Experience with image processing is a plus.
- Understanding of control theory with educational experience is desired.
- Understanding of scientific research methods and strong curiosity.
- Ability to clearly and logically communicate ideas and knowledge to various audiences.
- Familiar with technical aspects of engineering modules with multiple challenging mechanical, material, physical and optical constraints and interfaces.
- Possess a good understanding of lasers, sensors, actuators, mechanics, physics and/or metrology/optics.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Result driven, ability to plan and prioritize.
- The drive, energy and initiative to achieve continuous improvement.
- Must be comfortable with a rapidly changing work environment.
- Ability to multi-task and set priorities without jeopardizing project schedule.
- Must be a person of high integrity with mature management and organizational skills who consistently builds effective relationships. Possess an open, honest and collaborative style.
- Must have a reputation as an effective leader of technical talent, someone who knows how to motivate and lead technical personnel to be their best and consistently meet objectives with a process for accountability.
- Must be able to think strategically and plan effectively, yet possess a detail-oriented, hands-on approach to leading an engineering team.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent negotiating and team-building skills.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus including working while fully gowned in a clean room environment.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- The employee may be required to travel based on business needs.
- Ability to work onsite in first, second or third shift, as needed.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Extended periods of time in a clean room environment should be expected. Requires gowning in Class 10K gowning protocol.
- May need to work in labs with equipment that emit high-pitched noise.
- May spend extended periods of time at a computer workstation.
The California base annual salary/hourly range for this role is currently $130,500.00 -$217,500.00. Pay scales are determined by role, level, location and alignment with market data. Individual pay is determined through interviews and an assessment of several factors that that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to, job-related skills, relevant education and experience, certifications, abilities of the candidate and pay relative to other team members. Our recruiters can share more information about our bonus program, benefits and equity during the hiring process.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.