You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Other corporate functions
Other job categories
In a nutshell
San Jose - CA, US
Other corporate functions
Other job categories
Introduction to the job
ASML US, including its affiliates and subsidiaries, bring together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
Role and responsibilities
Are you a structured and strongly organized Patent Paralegal with a passion for quality, processes and cooperation with colleagues including Patent Attorneys? If so, would you like to be part of a worldwide Formalities Officers team?
Within ASML, the Technology sector is responsible for definition and development of products and technologies. Within the sector Technology, the Corporate Intellectual Property department is responsible to provide global intellectual property assistance to protect and support ASML’s business. In particular, the department is responsible to establish and maintain a portfolio of patent rights.
This position is based in San Jose and is part of a team with two Team Leads and multiple Formalities Officers in Veldhoven (NL), Wilton, San Jose and San Diego (US), and reports to the Manager CIP Support & Administration who reports to the SVP & Chief IP Counsel.
The Patent Formalities Officer aims to provide efficient quality in supporting the patent related processes within the ASML Corporate Intellectual Property (CIP) department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be knowledgeable in the field of patent procedures and share related knowledge inside and outside the Formalities Officers group.
- Support the patent process with a core set of administrative tasks and responsibilities (e.g., manage patent docket (e.g., registration, deadlines, agendas), handle e-mails, do filings, organize patent review meetings).
- Cooperate with Patent Attorneys to manage the patent portfolio (e.g. conduct weekly routine meetings to plan upcoming filings, provide support).
- Communicate with Patent Offices and national and international patent agents.
- Compare, check and enter data in a intellectual property (patent) management system.
- Execute IP transfers.
- Participate in process and/or quality improvements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and experience
- Completed Bachelor or Master degree.
- Certified as Formalities Officer or having the drive to be certified.
- Has 5+ years of experience, resulting from working as a paralegal in the area of Intellectual Property, preferably patents (in private (law firm) or industrial sector), with an Intellectual Property Management System (IPMS), with MS Office (Word, Excel).
- Intellectual Property, preferably patents (in private (law firm) or industrial sector), with an Intellectual Property Management System (IPMS), with MS Office (Word, Excel).
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Has a proven track record in working autonomously as well as a team.
- Has a pro-active attitude in execution as well as in thinking.
- Is flexible and willing to adapt.
- Has a strong focus on accuracy, with a high attention to details.
- Is able to handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Has good (verbal) communicative skills.
- Has a good focus for relationship management and expectation management.
- Is familiar with working in a complex environment with multiple stakeholders (e.g., attorneys, engineers, managers).
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
- A remote working policy is applicable for this job. Hybrid schedule, 3 days onsite, 2 days remote.
- Training on-site or attending a training program in the Netherlands is to be decided.
- A typical day at work might include:
- Executing patent processes and workstreams,
- Working closely together with Patent Attorneys and Formalities Officers to align on patent matters,
- Providing Patent Attorney support and executing formalities tasks.
- Participating in quality and/or process improvements.
- Creating reports for internal stakeholders.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.