You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Research & development
Other technical job categories
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Other technical job categories
Introduction to the job
ASML US, LP brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Wilton, CT, Chandler, AZ, San Jose, CA and San Diego, CA.
ASML is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of lithography systems that help enable Moore’s Law and the creation of increasingly powerful and capable electronic devices. At our San Diego location we are renowned for developing both deep ultraviolet (DUV) lithography light sources and next generation extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light sources.We are a multinational company with over 70 locations in 16 countries, headquartered in Veldhoven, the Netherlands.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
The Configuration Engineer (CE) is part of the Machine Integration & Test (MIT) Engineering Team and owns the system configuration for the assigned proto systems. Responsibility includes, but is not limited to, the registration of all hardware built into the system, understanding the delta to the required baseline configuration and support definition of a plan to close the gap in line with integration requirements. The CE secures materials, tools and resources, including sequences and procedures, to facilitate the execution of Engineering Changes. The CE will support the Upgrade Integrator, Configuration Architect, and will work closely with machine owners (Proto Integrators) to maintain configuration.Supports engineering, research and development, and manufacturing in the testing of optical, mechanical and electrical modules and sub-systems, and the integration and test of complex systems.
- Maintains the documented “As Built” configuration of proto systems.
- Reports configuration status to management on a regular basis andcan explain delta to baseline configuration plus plan to close gap.
- Audits “As Supplied”, “As Built” and “As Maintained” machines on aregular basis.
- Works with Integration Engineering to define test configurations aspart of the test plan specification.
- Produces clear, concise documentation in defined ASML/Cymerformats.
- Drive material, tooling and resource availability for upgradeactivities.
- Works according set safety standards in- and outside cleanroom.
- Collect inputs required for upgrade package and sequence creationfrom for example drawings, specification documents and other sources ofinformation.
- Participates in acceptance testing the design.
- Completes service, expense reports, and other administrativeresponsibilities in accordance with ASML’s procedures and withsupervisor’s approval.
- Uses company technical documentation and provides feedback forimprovement and assists in creating technical service documentation.
- Interacts with cross-functional groups (engineers, scientists,worldwide customer support personnel, manufacturing personnel, logistics,and upper management). Crosses functional boundaries and buildsconstructive and effective relationships throughout the whole organization.
Education and experience
- BS in Computer Science, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Physics, Physics, Applied Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Math or any other applicable STEM degree. Minimum 2 years of experience preferred with BS degree.
- MS in Computer Science, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Physics, Physics, Applied Physics, or Mechanical Engineering preferred. No experience required with MS degree.
- Knowledge and experiences in high-tech machinery, optics, laser-induced plasma, optical metrology, and/or controls of such devices preferred, not required.
- Experiences with vacuum systems a plus.
- Experiences in semiconductor equipment development a strong plus.
- Product development experience a strong plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent (internal) customer skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Proficient at stakeholder management and alignment.
- Possesses good presentation skills and is able to effectively present results in a team meeting.
- Plans activities and executes to schedules established by the program.
- Experience in using MS Office, MS Project and Visio.
- Performs data collection, statistical analysis, and report summarization. Uses programming and visualization tools to make reporting easier, more standardized and repeatable. Effectively reports problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Requires the ability to read and interpret engineering specifications, maintenance manuals and engineering sketches.
- Ability to receive and comprehend instructions.
Technical knowledge of ASML EUV systems is preferred, as well as:
- Experience with new product introductions
- Able to prioritize & delegate
- Able to predict potential issues based on designs (SPS/SDS/EPDS/etc.)
- Self-supporting – able to work independently
- Good communication skills
- Good stakeholder management
- Proactive drive
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employeeroutinely is required to sit; walk; talk and hear; use hands to keyboard,finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, crawl, reach, andstretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move aroundthe campus.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job includeclose vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, andability to adjust focus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20pounds.
- Will require travel dependent on business needs.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperatureand noise level, including occasionally working in a cleanroom environment.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information,and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations andinteract with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Capable and effective in taking on a broad scopeof activities.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
The California base annual salary / hourly range for this role is currently $78,750 - $131,250. Pay scales are determined by role, level, location and alignment with market data. Individual pay is determined through interviews and an assessment of several factors that that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to, job-related skills, relevant education and experience, certifications, abilities of the candidate and pay relative to other team members. Our recruiters can share more information about our bonus program, benefits and equity during the hiring process.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.