You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Principal Mechanical Development Engineer
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Mechanical engineering, Optical engineering
Introduction to the job
ASML US, LP brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Wilton, CT, Chandler, AZ, San Jose, CA and San Diego, CA.
“This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASM0L to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.”
Role and responsibilities
We are looking for a driven, hands-on and experienced Principal Mechanical Development Engineer with a strong and diverse background in complex opto-mechanical/mechanical design to join our extreme ultraviolet (EUV) Source Research and Development team. This position will be a key contributor in designing mechanical modules, parts and assemblies involving high pressure gas and liquid systems, as well as providing architecture configuration for our EUV light sources.
The successful candidate will lead the development of mechanical design across functional teams to enable the existing and future innovations according to the technology roadmap. The successful candidate will be guiding assigned sub-system design projects through direct technical advice, schematics/design, approvals, and collaboration with engineering teams and external suppliers. The candidate will be responsible for leading technical solutions across various elements of a stable EUV generation process including: a stable source of molten droplets; thermo-dynamic or gas-flow based approaches for debris management on critical components; high-power laser-materials interaction and light propagation considerations; and component cooling requirements inside a vacuum environment. All of these ingredients are cross-connected and live on the forefront of the technical possible.
The successful candidate will be comfortable designing mechanical modules to operate in this diverse mix of physics, engineering, and materials science. The successful candidate will also have a passion for innovation, be driven by curiosity, and have deep technical understanding, in order to excel in a Research environment operating at the fuzzy front end of product development. A key part of our success is the ability to quickly translate ideas for functional hardware, metrology, and test apparatus, into hardware for testing through rapid prototyping or sub-module testing. The successful candidate will use their skills in analysis and design and collaboration to work with scientists and engineers to rapidly convert ideas into breadboard hardware for Research product development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contributes as Principal Mechanical Development Engineer in a research environment; engages scientists and engineers in early-phase product development with a focus on designing and building breadboard hardware; maximizes rate of learning via rapid prototyping and testing of component level and breadboard-module-level hardware.
- Provides Mechanical domain expertise to apply a broad range of fundamental mechanical engineering knowledge including but not limited to high pressure (kbar) gas and liquid system design and manufacturing techniques.
- Works closely with cross-functional groups to understand the current product issues, develop integrated solutions and develop next generation systems. Engages engineers, scientists, manufacturing, and upper management to gain alignment and drive the implementation of cross-function capability.
- Pulls in requirements from multiple functions and multiple disciplines to understand and balance their impacts on design constraints.
- Provides a broad opto-mechanical and fluid-dynamic engineering design background and performs mechanical engineering analysis (stress, fluids, vibrations, thermal), design for control and distribution of inert and hazardous gases, air and water handling for thermal management of equipment and enclosures, large enclosure design, electrical component packaging, mechanical structural mounts and fixtures, design for manufacturability in low volume products, and design for configuration management.
- Generates module or system concepts to meet product requirements.
- Performs detailed design and component layout for new or improved subsystems.
- Provides tolerance analysis at system and subsystem level incl. Tolerance Stack-up Analysis.
- Supports analytical analysis for thermal and structural components and sub-modules.
- Provides input to project plans including key deliverables, timeline, and budget.
- Works with other Engineers and CAD Designers for prototype and pilot detailed design.
- Supports driving full documentation of design including, BOM, drawings, and procedures.
- Interacts closely with development engineers, scientists, suppliers, and QA to resolve quality issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Education and experience
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Physics, or Material Science and a minimum of (8+) years of relevant experience.
- Master’s Degree or PhD preferred.
- Proficient in NX solid modeling (or similar) and Team Center, to lead the detailed design of complex mechanical devices.
- Requires knowledge/relevant experience in a wide range of thermal and stress analysis, knowledge of materials, materials compatibility, fits and tolerances, design, manufacturing and testing of complex industrial devices and sub-assemblies.
- Experience in designing, fabrication, and testing of mechanical, electro-mechanical and/or opto-mechanical modules, and related system interfaces for high pressure systems including but not limited to: seal design; mechanical design and analysis; familiarity with regulatory considerations; pressure controllers; and pressure damping.
- Experience with droplet formation, sprays, common-rail diesel, and/or injectors is a plus.
- Experience with high pressure hydraulics, mechanical liquid pumps, and/or solid presses is a plus.
- Experience with water jet cutting, jet breakup, and nozzle design is a plus.
- Experience with acoustics designs: resonant cavities in the kHz/MHz regime; transfer function design for enhancing/suppressing energy transfer into liquids; piezo-driven system design.
- A working knowledge of glass physics and experience working with glass is a plus.
- Experience with root-cause analysis of failure modes, or interpretation of unexpected test results, or puzzling data, to quickly drive to hypothesis bucketing and root-cause understanding.
- Hands on experience in mechanical design and testing complex components and sub-assemblies.
- Experience in solid modeling; NX and Team center desired.
- Experience in Finite Element Analysis, NX-Nastran/Ansys desired.
- Experience with phased new product development process from concept to full release.
- Hands on experience and knowledge of machining and fabrication techniques highly desirable.
- Experience with Product Development tasks desired: bills of material, interfacing with vendors, procurement of material for prototyping, change management (ECNs/ECR/ECO).
- Knowledge/experience in Vacuum Technology preferred.
- Experience with custom vacuum process preferred.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
- Leading the design of a complex opto-mechanical and fluid-dynamic assembly, from initial concept through to deployment (including Design Review process), prototyping, resolving issues with functionality and with manufacturability.
- Guide development of high-level architecture as well as specific techniques to improve the EUV generation process.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Applies knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus including working while fully gowned in a clean room environment.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The employee may be required to travel based on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Extended periods of time in a clean room environment should be expected. Requires gowning in Class 10K gowning protocol.
- May need to work in labs with equipment that emit high-pitched noise.
- Ability to work on any shift based on project needs.
The California base annual salary/hourly range for this role is currently $144,375.00 -$240,625.00. Pay scales are determined by role, level, location and alignment with market data. Individual pay is determined through interviews and an assessment of several factors that that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to, job-related skills, relevant education and experience, certifications, abilities of the candidate and pay relative to other team members. Our recruiters can share more information about our bonus program, benefits and equity during the hiring process.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.