You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Thank you for visiting ASML careers. Please keep in mind that we’ll be performing maintenance on our servers from May 31 – June 5, 2023. During this time, you won’t be able to search or apply for any jobs, but we encourage you to return after June 5 to access all vacancies.
Senior Mechanical Architect
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Introduction to the job
ASML is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of lithography systems that help enable Moore’s Law and the creation of increasingly powerful and capable electronic devices. At our San Diego location we are renowned for developing both deep ultraviolet (DUV) lithography light sources and next generation extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light sources.We are a multinational company with over 70 locations in 16 countries, headquartered in Veldhoven, the Netherlands.
If you have a passion for technology and innovation, you’ll want to check us out. Be a part of ASML. Be a part of progress.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
Laser-Produced Plasma EUV is generated by firing high energy laser pulses at tin droplet targets at kilohertz repetition rates. The resulting plasma pulses create both desired EUV light, undesired IR thermal energy and Tin debris in the form of ballistic particulates and atomic vapor. If unabated, the Tin debris will coat all surfaces in the vessel, including optical components, impacting the transmission of EUV and Laser light. We are looking for a Thermal Design Engineer (Semiconductor Equipment) acting in the role of Thermal Architect for our overall EUV Source. The objective is to identify technologies and design concepts that can be developed to address undesired impact to overall source performance and partner with Project Management to ensure delivery of robust product solutions. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual with a broad technical background, excellent communication skills, and ability to influence others. As a Competency Architect you will work with a team of highly professional engineers and scientists with diverse academic backgrounds and many years of experience. Your job is to provide technical leadership to the team to deliver practical solutions to enable multiple functions who depend on therm.
- Develops the roadmap, requirements, specifications, architecture, and technology development needs for Thermal Architecture of the EUV Source, which is required to improve HW lifetime, MTTR/MTBF and overall system availability.
- Identifies concepts that can address performance gaps; assesses technology maturity and defines the development and engineering work breakdown for execution by cross-functional teams of seasoned scientists and engineers.
- Works with competence experts to develop and validate a model for Temperature Profiles and Thermal Loads in the EUV Source vessel, which can be used to predict performance and issues, and drive the development roadmap.
- Leads architecture and prototyping definition; works with cross-functional teams of mechanical engineers, materials scientists, optical, electrical and software engineers to develop solutions to roadmap.
- Develops and maintains the specification document tree; writes and/or reviews key specification and design documentation, coordinates key reviews with Systems Engineering and Project Stakeholders to ensure functional specifications are aligned to system requirements.
- Identifies and engages third parties for development of technology solutions; Creates Statements of Work (SOWs) to define phased deliverables for budgeting and project management.
- Defines Test Protocols; analyzes test data; makes recommendations based on test results for design changes and operational changes to deliver improved performance of sub-modules.
- Assesses technology and project risks and defines risk mitigation strategies and approaches with the project leadership team.
- Mentors, coaches and oversees the activity of junior engineers in the Function and Competence organizations.
Education and experience
- MS or Ph.D. in Engineering, Physics or related technical discipline, 8+ years of experience in a technical leadership role
- Previous role(s) in Technology, Process and/or Engineering Design of Semiconductor processing equipment a strong plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
- Has led a successfully completed project.
- Ability to carry a product design from conception into production.
- Project Engineering experience including leading small technical teams.
- Ability to cross functional boundaries to build relationships with all areas in the company, to understand and reconcile higher level company and customer needs.
- Familiarity with Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) modeling, including mesh generation, CFD processing, and post-processing analysis.
- Interpretation and application of CFD results to guide hardware and process optimization.
- Expert with heat transfer analysis and methodologies
- Experience with materials in extreme environments and interactions with liquid metals
- Experience with thermal and gas flow elements of process chamber design
- Passion for commercialization and driving innovation at a rapid pace
- Highly motivated, enthusiast, flexible and a good communicator
- Think broad, learn fast, take responsibility, act decisively and show critical sense
- Experience with product lifecycle management, including roadmap definition
- Ability to initiate, influence and drive
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Requires working with a firing laser (which is noisy) on a frequent basis.
- Requires working in a manufacturing clean room environment occasionally.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
The California base annual salary / hourly range for this role is currently $121,875 - $203,125. Pay scales are determined by role, level, location and alignment with market data. Individual pay is determined through interviews and an assessment of several factors that that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to, job-related skills, relevant education and experience, certifications, abilities of the candidate and pay relative to other team members. Our recruiters can share more information about our bonus program, benefits and equity during the hiring process.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.