You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Thank you for visiting ASML careers. Please keep in mind that we’ll be performing maintenance on our servers from May 31 – June 5, 2023. During this time, you won’t be able to search or apply for any jobs, but we encourage you to return after June 5 to access all vacancies.
Senior Linux Platform Engineer
Research & development
Computer science & software engineering
In a nutshell
Research & development
Computer science & software engineering
Introduction to the job
This position is in diagnostics platform group (EPS) at the ASML Software department. This department focusses on improving system availability at customer’s production processes by process optimization for ASML Engineers in factory and field.
The software is developed to increase the service capabilities of the engineering department. The software is deployed on a server rack inside the customer’s data center. It takes data from ASML devices as input for diagnostics on system performance and availability. This data is processed via feedback loops towards the engineers and headquarter to continuously monitor, improve and optimize the efficiency of our work processes.
Role and responsibilities
The Equipment Performance Server (EPS) is a product which ASML places at customer sites to support ASML Customer Support Engineers.
The application software described above is created by specialists in other teams. Together with the EPS team of ~20 people it is your task to ensure there is a platform where this software can run above 99.9% availability guarantee.
Currently ASML installed many servers at customer sites worldwide. The team you will work with designed the hardware setup, the virtualization layers, manages firmware updates and provides a key set of supporting software services to manage the hardware platform.
The team is very strong on the technical aspects. The daily organization is done by the team itself in an Agile manner. We are looking for a candidate with a(n) (scaled) Agile mindset who wants to work within a self-organizing team, picking up activities from a sprint backlog. Some capacity of the team is reserved for field issues.
A next generation cloud-based platform is under construction. This is a new development that comes with a large learning opportunity for the team. The software that runs on the classical hardware platform is refactored to become platform agnostic. In the new setup cloud solutions are the baseline; Cloud-init, Terraform, Docker, VCenter, K8S, RHEV and GCP.
Your hands-on job is to support both. The stability of the existing platforms in the field and the introduction of the new platform with all its new opportunities and issues. You are profound in troubleshooting hardware, virtualization, network and software issues even if these go beyond the platform. You understand the impact containerization may or may not have in these cases. Robust definition of software and platform, install and upgrade (Ansible, Shell script) is one of your hobbies. In the end you take pride in robust and stable platforms, as you are a true Engineer.
- Maintenance and creation of ansible playbooks that are used in software deployment;
- Shell scripts for many tasks;
- Support development teams at the Veldhoven site where they experience potential platform issues;
- Max. 10% travel to ASML customers for troubleshooting and upgrades, that cannot be executed remotely;
- You are a Linux/Unix fan and enjoy working with Red Hat software releases. You can help identifying the implications when a move from one version to the next is required;
- Development of automated tests, that can be re-used on platform changes and upgrades to ensure no regression impact is caused;
- Manage a platform setup through VMWare (RHEV) know how to make and restore backups;
- Be able (and enjoy) to work with Python for test execution, scripting and documenting purposes.
Education and experience
A relevant BSc, MSc or higher in the area of Computer Engineering, IT or Electronics.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- at least 3 years of experience in a similar platform(s) environment;
- solid knowledge of GCP, Red Hat Linux, RHEV, VMWare, K8S, Ansible, Shell Scripting, Podman, Docker, (Secure) Networking.
- proven affinity within the DevOps field;
- experience with (scaled) Agile way of working;
- you’re passionate about technology and are excited by the idea that your work will impact millions of people in whose daily life ASML based products are standard;
- you like to investigate issues and you’re a creative problem solver;
- you’re open-minded, you like to discuss technical challenges and you want to push the boundaries of technology;
- you are flexible and able to context switch (and you strive to minimize the need for these);
- you are an innovator and you constantly seek to improve your knowledge and your work;
- you and the team form one entity, bringing constant incremental value to your customer(s);
- you are quality oriented – you don’t settle for second-best solutions, but strive to find the best ways to acquire top results.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. §730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
ASML does not accept unsolicited resumes from any agencies that have not signed a mutual service agreement. All unsolicited resumes will be considered ASML’s property, and ASML will not be obligated to pay a referral fee. This includes resumes submitted directly to hiring managers without contacting the Resource Center Department.
ASML is GDPR compliant, therefore we cannot process applications sent outside of our recruitment system.
If you are interested in this vacancy please apply.
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.