You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Applications Engineering Deputy Manager
In a nutshell
N. Phoenix - AZ, US
Introduction to the job
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
The future is bright and dynamic. Are you up for the challenge and co-manage the startup and maturation of application at the first US-based advanced-node tsmc HVM fab in Arizona? This high-profile job definitely enables you to enhance your career within ASML.
Our applications team at site ensures node transfer and ramp support on all ASML scanner and metrology platforms. We collaborate with the install and equipment teams, and own the on-product performance part of litho/metro. Our key objective is to meet customer timeline for wafer introduction and pilot line setup as well as ramp to volume at a performance level equal or better than the mother-fab.
We are looking for an experienced manager in semiconductor lithography or metrology process technology to join us, who can drive the operational applications performance, while developing a team of highly skilled engineers, and driving ASMLs value proposition.
The holder of this position will be based in ASML Phoenix (AZ, USA). You report directly to the local Applications Cluster Manager, who reports into the Director US Applications.As Deputy Manager you are part of the Extended Staff of US Applications, and share the local operational responsibilities with your Cluster Manager, based on your prior expertise and fit. We expect applicants to have growth capability and ambition to take over the local Applications Cluster Manager role who directly reports into the Director US Applications.
ASML brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our main headquarters are located in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we also have nearly 20 office locations around the United States.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
Applications Engineering- Creating Tomorrow’s Value. This is a position that will require strong ownership, care for quality, a strong customer intimacy and communication, and the ability to bring different segments together at ASML and tsmc. You cover business leadership on the operations and people leadership for your team members.
Our local applications organization is split into two engineering teams: one for EUV and another one for DUV/YieldStar. As Deputy Apps Manager, either of the teams will report into you, and you are responsible to set the direction for that team, build customer intimacy, translate commercial strategies and customer needs into operational execution for your teams. You represent the site Voice of Customer into ASML, and act as key apps management interface towards customer and headquarters.
The teams currently support the Taiwan site to (1) demonstrate skill capability, (2) gain expertise, and (3) learn customer configuration and use-cases.As soon as the tools arrive, the focus will shift to on-site Phoenix support on-product performance of the pilot line. You collaborate heavily with local team, business line stakeholders, and senior staff as well as counterparts at ASML Taiwan and of course customer.With your team you ensure technical excellence in the execution, and oversee the NPI introduction projects into ramp and volume sustaining support.
You operate in the Customer Support segment, and collaborate with applications peers in the region and across the globe to implement best practices with your teams. Talent development is high on your agenda, and you are able to guide and coach engineers and projects leads into accelerated careers.
The job includes working together with various levels of professionals, such as Product Managers, System Engineers, and Projects Leads in Veldhoven, as well as Application and Equipment Managers, Project Leads, Engineers, and Account Teams in the field.
- Lead the local apps team from ramp to volume of a new fab-startup and transit from NPI to Sustaining support.
- Support the organization to set and exceed customer agreements and expectations.
- Lead the local apps team thru its’ growth and execute account on-product applications strategy into operations.
- Define the sustaining needs for large-scale HVM Apps fab support in US and drive the implementation.
- Lead the local apps organization by establishing strategic and intimate relations with your customer and peers.
- Establish operational reviews internally and towards your customer.
- Coach and manage internal talents, team leads, and project leads to accelerate their growth and execute succession planning.
- Define improved ways of working, and technical containments & solutions to make your customer successful.
- Contribute your knowledge of customer technology and manufacturing to the success of ASML and your customer.
- Identify potential for revenue generation and promote/evaluate ASML solutions at the customer.
- Drive implementation of the US Apps and WW Apps Engineering community’s vision, mission & departmental initiatives.
- Travel regionally and internationally (up to 30%).
Education and experience
- BS, MS, or PHD in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Chemistry, Mechanics, Mathematics, a similar engineering degree or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years’ experience in an IC manufacturing environment with a technical background on lithography and/or on-product metrology, of which a minimum of 3 years in leadership positions.
- Experience in a commercial environment, university, or institute research group working on semiconductor technology.
- Experience in customer contact/customer service role, preferably in product ramp or high volume manufacturing.
- Experience in coaching and developing technical experts and team/groupleads to achieve results and customer intimacy.
- Proven track record in project program management on both detailed technical and high level abstraction level.
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills, Mandarin preferred as additional language.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Our employees are curious, driven, open to new ways of thinking and creative problem solvers. As a Deputy Apps Manager you are strongly demonstrating the 3 core cultural values of Challenge, Collaborate, and Care you drive your own and ASML’s success.
- Challenge the status quo to strive for improvements that adds value.
- Thinking critically and creatively about the situation in order to take calculated risk.
- Encouraging open communication and asking questions to understand different views and get to the heart of the issue.
- Run your segment and teams as if it is your business (‘cause it is).
- Aligning goals and making expectation clear to others.
- Celebrating success and the contributions of others.
- Seeking collaboration across the entire value chain and matrix organization.
- Partner with the customer and build win/win.
- Respecting each other and embracing diversity.
- Align and create clarity on our goals, targets, roles and responsibilities.
- Taking ownership and responsibility for our decisions and keeping our promises.
- Recognizing the importance of our own mental and physical well-being and that of others.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.