You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Computational Optics Design Engineer
Research & development
In a nutshell
Research & development
Introduction to the Job
We are looking for a knowledgeable and ambitious colleague to strengthen us in the field of computational optics, applied to the development of highly challenging metrology applications. You will be part of a young and dynamic group that hosts physical modelling as well as metrology and inference competences.
Within ASML the sector Development & Engineering is responsible for the development, specification and design of new ASML products. The Business Line Applications provides integrated solutions with computational, metrology and control technology. These solutions extend and improve the performance of lithography products for the semiconductor industry.
Within D&E Applications, the Modeling and Inference Group covers the development of optical and mathematical models and methods required to infer physical model parameters from optical metrology data. Relevant new metrics and algorithms as well as new measurement functions, with optimum performance characteristics, are identified, designed and implemented. The availability and development of fast and accurate optical models and Maxwell solvers, and their optimal integration in the simulation framework, is essential. The group secures the Applied Mathematics for Parameter Estimation and the Scattterometry ASML-Competencies.
- Develop optical metrology solutions with statistically correct parameter inference using numerical-optical models, machine learning, optimization algorithms and system calibrations, to improve semiconductor metrology and enable high-volume fab control solutions.
- Development of new semiconductor metrology functionality using your in-depth knowledge on optical sensor modeling, where focus on the metrology accuracy as well as computational speed is essential. Solver-internal algorithmic development is combined with application-specific approaches, that may include machine learning methods for accuracy and performance.
- Responsible for independently developing, testing and maintaining the algorithms, and turning general requirement definitions into functioning modules.
- Communicate crystal clearly without omitting the essentials on the mathematical principles, algorithm solutions and optical models, to internal stakeholders such as in the ASML Research department, and ASML D&E counterparts.
- Contribute to the group ASML Competencies, and propose and develop new or improved metrics and algorithms that meet internal and external customers’ product requirements.
- Review technical analyses from the team, and structure team contributions keeping the overview.
- Consolidate technical-team identity in communication with other departments.
- Contribute to technical product roadmaps and generate intellectual property protecting ASML products.
- Work as a team with similar-minded people, and collaborate to benefit from each other’s specific competences.
- Keywords: computational optics, numerical mathematics, scientific computing, optimization techniques, inverse problems, physical modeling, calibration, machine learning, signal processing.
- Ph.D. or M.Sc. in physics, applied mathematics, computer science, electrical engineering.
- Demonstrated academic or industrial experience to develop tailored numerical algorithms in the physics / engineering domains. Your skills cover the full range of computational physics: identification of the essential physics of the problem; design of rigorous numerical schemes; and highly efficient code implementation.
- Excellence in numerical mathematics, and affinity with machine learning methods.
- Experience in code development in optical simulation algorithms, or in domains such as acoustics or electronic structure, that is linked to experimental physics is preferred.
- Experience in development of scalable codes based on iterative solvers and spectral methods is an advantage.
- Experience with HPC, Linux environment, and solid knowledge of C++11 / Python / Fortran / MATLAB programming languages, and knowledge of MPI is an advantage.
- Good team working skills, strategic thinking, and self-motivated
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Drive creative solutions with the product and customer in mind
- Ability to explain complex physical models and algorithms in a crisp way, without omitting the essentials
- Decisive and self-initiating in an ambiguous environment, and ability to influence without power
- Pragmatic approach and pro-active attitude, with focus on the result and a ‘can do’ spirit
- Affinity with semiconductor lithography and IC design is an advantage
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Keywords: (non-)convex optimization, robust optimization, deep learning pipeline, data-intensive and distributed computing, cloud computing, data processing, parameter inference, physics, software, dataflow, (un)supervised and reinforcement learning, neural network, inverse problem, physical calibration, mathematics, optics, regression, information theory.
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.