You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Design Engineer Metrology
In a nutshell
Mechatronics, Optical engineering, Electrical engineering
Introduction to the job
Is your drive to work ‘where the heat is’? Being key in achieving the ultimate goal? Then working on ASML’s EUV source system to keep Moore’s law alive is your job! The essential aspect of bringing value is to generate new ideas and ensure that they are being worked out and delivered according to the specification as agreed with our customers around the globe, and that is where you come in!
Role and responsibilities
The mission for the Design Engineer Metrology is to design and industrialize the next generation of measurement, controls and corrections of our multi-kW CO2-laser system as part of the EUV source. Increased optical power and better, more stable performance is a constant demand for our systems. And with an optical path length of hundreds of meters where the laser hits tens of thousands of micrometer-small tin droplets each second, 365 days per year, we can provide you the challenge you are looking for. To improve usability by our customers and our Customer Support teams, the Source Laser system has to become more automated and more robust to failure and restart. This requires mastering the full chain from requirement specification, (model based) design, and integration into the Source Laser platforms. It is the task of the design engineer to develop new solutions or improve existing ones, and present those to the relevant stakeholders. For this, you work with a large, multidisciplinary team. It includes the hand-over to Customer Support and manufacturing and to provide support in case of complex issues they cannot handle. This means that as design engineer, you are the module owner, being the spider in the web: you work very closely with the different groups within ASML (mechanics, software, electronics, manufacturing, customer support) to make sure that in the end your specified deliverable proves to be working with a happy customer as the logical end result!
Improve understanding of the Source Laser system, identify and solve complex measurement, controls and correction problems. Drive to structurally fix them, either by prevention or by delivering diagnostic signals and tooling to shorten the diagnostics and repair time.
- Key in this position is to improve system availability, while enabling the power increases required by our customers. As you also communicate a lot with other competencies to make your deliverables happen, this responsibility requires a high level of multidisciplinary technical knowledge combined with good communication skills and a big drive to make things happen.
- Apply broad knowledge in optics, sensors, actuators, image processing as well as in modeling and data analysis.
- Serve as a technical expert/owner for one or more controls subsystems.
- In a sprint based environment investigate, analyze & troubleshoot issues in a structured way, find root causes and turn your findings into plannable actions to contain and solve them structurally.
- Create and perform test plans to verify if the design is meeting the requirements.
- Present results to your team and other stakeholders. Interact with cross-functional groups (engineers and scientists, worldwide customer support personnel, manufacturing personnel, management, suppliers, external customers). You cross functional boundaries and builds constructive and effective relationships throughout the whole organization.
- Support systems in the factory and the field. Travel (Asia / US) can be expected.
- Create knowledge transfer to the factory and customer support.
Education and experience
- Education Masters degree or higher (PhD) in Systems and Controls, Experimental Physics, Optics, Opto-mechatronics or similar.
- A background in high-power laser optics / controls or image processing is a preferred.
- Experience Demonstrable experience in programming in Matlab/Simulink.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Strong drive to improve one’s system understanding.
- Model based design.
- Independent and self propelling problem solving skills.
- Affinity with software design and prototyping.
- Able to summarize and communicate technical results efficiently in fluent English.
- Being able to deliver under strong time pressure and able to cope with fluctuating priorities.
- Being able to deliver results in collaborative team environment.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.